Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Georgie D's, Once Again

I stopped by Georgie D's Place for an early dinner this evening. I previously reviewed this restaurant and was impressed. Would my subsequent visit be as good?

The restaurant opened at 5:00pm and I arrived around 5:15pm and was their first patron. I sat in the main dining room near the bar. I was given the option of a couple tables. I started off with a glass of their house Chianti ($6). This was a decent wine, a typical Chianti. It is a simple but pleasing wine.

I was also delivered a loaf of warm, home-made bread and a dish of oil. Once again, I have to rave about the bread. I love bread and this is an excellent loaf with a very crusty exterior and a soft interior.

For an appetizer, I chose one of the specials, shrimp and pesto poppers ($10). This was apparently something new that the Chef came up with. The dish had five very large shrimp, encased in a spiced batter, with tomatoes and a pesto dipping sauce. The shrimp were tasty and meaty. The spiced batter was mild and the pesto made a nice accompaniement. An inventive and delicious appetizer.

I felt like having some veal parmigiana but it was not on the menu. No problem! The waitress stated it would not be a problem at all to make it. As I said previously, the menu states that if you do not see something on the menu, just ask. When the dish ($17) arrived, it consisted of two pieces of veal with pappardelle. The red sauce was dark, thick and tasty. The veal was also delicious with plenty of melted cheese.

I was too full to order dessert. Between the bread, shrimp, veal and pasta, I had plenty of food.

Service was excellent. The waitress was personable, courteous and helpful.

Overall, my second visit was as good as the first. So, there has been consistency at this restaurant. I definitely recommend that you check it out. But you may want to make reservations, especially on weekends. I think the word is getting out about the quality of this restaurant.

Georgie D's Place
499 Main St.
Stoneham, MA
Phone: (781) 481-9300

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too have been to Georgie D's and enjoyed it. Happened to stumble upon the restaurant on a Wednesday and went in with a business colleague. We enjoyed our meal, the service was good and the singer was an added bonus. I'd recommend it!