Friday, October 19, 2007

India's Finest

Thanks to "Hidden Boston" on Chowhounds for altering me to the fact that Karishma, an Indian restaurant in Wakefield, had been sold and was renamed India's Finest. I previously reviewed Karishma and enjoyed it though I had a couple issues with them. So, how would the new place compare?

I stopped there for lunch today to check it out. First, the decor was slightly different, with maybe a couple different decorations. But the seating area was basically the same. Second, the large screen TVs were still there, and still playing some form of Indian MTV. As I said about Karishma, I don't think this is conducive to a welcoming feel for everyone. I feel some people will be turned off by such. Third, I did not see any of the staff that I recognized when it was Karishma.

They do have a lunch buffet ($7.99) though it is very similar to the one Karishma used to have. Not much change there. Their menu is significantly different than the one at Karishma. There are more choices, and most of the standard Indian fare. Prices are very reasonable with many entrees only $10-12. There are also 10 different breads available.

I ordered the Chicken Vindaloo ($9.95). This was a good-sized plate of chicken chunks and potatoes, accompanied by Basmati price. The chicken was very tender, and cut with only a fork. The sauce was tasty, spicy but not too hot. I very much enjoyed this dish.

I also ordered a couple breads, the Tandori Roti and the Punjabi Prantha ($1.95 each). Both were fresh out of the oven and had been slathered with butter. Very delicious.

India's Finest did correct one issue I had with Karishma by presenting a more extensive menu. Now let us hope they change the TV channel too!

Overall, I enjoyed this place and will return to try more of their dishes.

1 comment:

Chrissy said...

This place sounds awesome! I will have to check it out. Thanks for your review.