Sunday, November 4, 2007

L'Andana Revisted

Has L'Andana changed in a week since its initial opening?

I dined there again last night. I had went last weekend and you can read my previous review. My first visit had been positive so I was hopeful for the second visit as well.

I previously mentioned that I was unsure whether some of the tables were too close together or not. The restaurant was busier last night so I had a better idea on the issue. The chairs are large and thus may make it look closer than it really is. Those people sitting in that section did not really seem too crowded so it does not look like a problem.

Last week, the wine list was very short but that has changed. There are now around 30 wines available by the glass, a more diverse and extensive list. I was very glad to see their expanded wine list.

The menu has changed very little since last week, though it is still subject to change. Before our food came, we received their warm rustic loaf. The bread came with a dish containing oil, a tomato compote and a cooked, whole tomato. This was perfect for smearing on the warm bread and made a nice start.

We began with the Insalata ($12) and the small Pappardelle ($12, a new addition to the menu). The Insalata was a large dish of organic greens, wood-grilled pears (soaked in wine), Humboldt Fog cheese and a Chianti dressing. The dressing was very good and added a bit of sweetness to the salad. The cheese was a mild blue cheese and there was a large chunk atop a thin piece of bread. The pears were delicious too. The Pappardelle consisted of braised oxtail, buttery noodles and fresh parmesan. The oxtail meat was tender and in an intriguing brown sauce, maybe with some wine in it. The noodles were wide, long and cooked just right. I very much enjoyed this dish and probably could have had the large size for my dinner.

For our entrees, my wife chose a second appetizer, the Pork Belly ($12) and and I chose the Veal Milanese ($32). The Pork Belly was cider-braised with garnet yams and autumn fruits. The pork was very tender and juicy, with an intriguing apple flavor. An excellent dish. My veal had lemon, argula, cured tomato and shaved Parmesan. The veal was huge! I don't recall the last time I ever had a piece of veal that large. It was tender, lightly breaded and delicious. This is a dish I would highly recommend. We also ordered a side of the Truffle Parmesan Fries and they were just as good as last week.

Service was good though a little obtrusive at times. For example, the water pourers refilled your glass even when you had only drank a little. They are trying to have exceptional service but are going a bit overboard. It certainly can be a fine line but I think that with more time and experience the service will excel. It is still very new and the few kinks are still being worked out.

Overall, I was very pleased again with my experience at L'Andana. The food is plentiful and quite delicious. I continue to believe that this restaurant is going to become a big hit. I will certainly return, for both lunch and dinner, to try out other menu selections.

Check out L'Andana now. You won't be disappointed.

L'Andana
86 Cambridge Street
Burlington, MA
Phone: (781) 270-0100

4 comments:

Kate said...

I am a server at L'Andana and very much appreciate your patience with service issues. I'll be sure to pass on your generous review at my next shift! Thank you for your visits!

Richard Auffrey said...

Hi Kathryn and welcome to my blog. I do have high hopes for L'Andana. It certainly is one of the best new restaurants I have encountered in some time. And I have faith the few minor problems it has will soon be worked out. And I look forward to lunch there!

Kate said...

While this week has been busier than most for all of us, it has also been duller than most for dining destinations. Remember L'Andana when you plan special dinners for family and friends!We're ready for you!

Richard Auffrey said...

Kathryn,
Did you know I have more recent reviews of L'Andana as well?

http://passionatefoodie.blogspot.com/2007/11/landana-three-times-in-three-weeks.html

http://passionatefoodie.blogspot.com/2007/11/stoneham-sun-landana.html