Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Beehive: Brunch Once Again

Today was another beautiful, sunny day so I trekked back through the South End, this time accompanied by two other people. I returned to The Beehive for brunch, after such a satisfying brunch the weekend before. And brunch was just as excellent this time as the last.

The brunch menu was slightly different than from the week before, just a couple of changes. One new addition was a Brioche Bread Pudding with sausage, bacon, potatoes, and two poached eggs. This was a savory bread pudding, not a sweet one. It all came together in a casserole dish, topped by the poached eggs. I decided to order this and it was quite tasty, with a unique blend of spices that I could not fully identify. It was a large dish with plenty of food and it worked very well as a meal.

Though before any of our meals came, we shared an order of Beignets, which were just as good this time as the last and which were enjoyed very much by everyone in my party. I still think though that they might benefit with some type of dipping sauce, like melted chocolate or vanilla cream.

We also ordered a Breakfast Flatbread that comes with spinach, cheese, and eggs. Though we also ordered it with the optional blackened steak. This meal came out on a plank and was quite large. I tasted all of it but the spinach and thought it was excellent. The steak was cut very thin and was extremely tender. You did not need a knife for this steak. The flatbread was very good and this is something I would order, though I would have them leave out the spinach (I strongly dislike spinach). The Eggs Benedict with Ham was also an excellent choice. This dish came with homemade potatop chips and some fruit. My mom thought is was quite delicious and I thought that the ham was very good, thin, tender and flavorful.

I also tried a side of their Bacon. The Bacon is a bit thicker than most places and was cooked just right for me, with plenty of crispness. It had a bit of a smoky flavor that really pleased me. I do do love bacon!

Service was once again excellent. Our server was personable and attentive. So, my second Brunch visit was just as good as the first visit. They are showing consistency which is an admirable quality for a restaurant. I would heartily recommend The Beehive for brunch.

I should note that as we were leaving, we passed the BEEch area, their outside patio. There were numerous people at the tables, enjoying the beautiful weather and eating brunch. The tables had large baskets with fresh bread and other supplies. I will have to try that another weekend.

The Beehive
541 Tremont St.
Boston, MA
Phone: 617-423-0069

No comments: