Wednesday, November 19, 2008

WBW #52: Value Reds From Chile

The theme for Wine Blogging Wednesday #52 has now been announced and it is fitting with our rocky economic times. We all want value wines and this theme caters to that. Tim of Cheap Wine Ratings is this month's host and he has chosen the theme: Value Reds From Chile.

Chile currently produces some very good value wines so Tim wants us to explore them. The rules are simple, choose any red wine from Chile for $20 or less. It is even better if you find a wine for $10. The major areas of Chile include various Aconcagua, Cachapoal, Casablanca, Colchagua, Curicó, Maipo and Maule. You get extra points for a wine from one of the lesser known regions such as Bío Bío, Elqui, Itata, Limarí, Malleco or San Antonio. If you don't know much about Chilean wines, or just want more info, Tim has also provided some links to resources on Chilean wine.

I have had some Chilean wines before, some I liked and some I did not. For example, I am not a big fan of the grape Carmenere, as I find it too similar to Cabernet Franc, too often having a green/vegetal taste to it. But I have enjoyed some of their Cabernets. I do have one high end Chilean wine in my cellar, the 2003 Vina Alamviva, a red blend. I do hope you all participate in this new WBW!

On or before, Wednesday, December 10, just post your tasting review on your blog. Then send an e-mail with a link to your review to wbw@cheapwineratings.com.

No comments: