Sunday, February 15, 2009

Greek Wines: Dessert Wines

After tasting so many different Greek wines, I ended this phase with three dessert wines. I would taste some more Greek wines later, though at a few different tables. As for the three dessert wines, they were a mixed bag.

I began with the N.V. Achaia Clauss Muscat de Patras which is made from the Muscat Blanc grape. This wine had a rich, golden color (almost orange) and it had a strong nose of apricot and nuts. On the palate, it is a very thick, full-bodied wine with flavors of apricot and orange. It was very sweet, though almost cloyingly so. I was not a big fan of this wine.
The N.V. Achaia Clauss Mavrodaphne of Patras is made from the indigenous Mavrodaphne grape. This wine had a dark brown color and a nose that reminded me of a Tawny Port. On the palate, it again reminded me of Port, with flavors of black cherry, dried fruit, and a nutty undertone. I liked this wine and would drink it though it was not very impressive.
But the third dessert wine, the 2003 SantoWines Vin Santo was impressive. The Vin Santo is made from sun dried grapes, 75% Assyrtico & 25% Aidani. The grapes are sun dried for about 8-10 days and then the wine is aged for about two years in oak. It had a rich amber color and an enticing caramel and nut smell. On the palate, it had a nice sweetness that was not overbearing with flavors of vanilla, caramel and spice. There was plenty of complexity and a nice, long finish. This is a wine that should appeal to most people and something I highly recommend.

3 comments:

Lisa Johnson said...

Nice review! I don't think I've ever tried a Greek wine and didn't even know they made dessert wines. Now that I think about it, it makes sense that they could make some really nice wines. I'll be on the lookout next time I make a wine purchase.

Richard Auffrey said...

Thanks Anali. Please do check out Greek wines as there are many good ones out there. And when you do, please return and tell me what you thought of the wine.

osfp said...

I agree the Achaia Clauss Mavrodafni is pretty good, but not too impressive. I believe they make Mavrodafni under several labels of varying quality. Their 2003 "Chateau (pyrgos) Clauss" is quite good, especially for the price but is probably nearly impossible to find.