I am back again with a new edition of Thursday Sips & Nibbles, my regular column where I briefly highlight some interesting wine and food items that I have encountered recently.
1) Pairings: Exploring Wine & Food, a wine store in Winchester, will be holding a Grand Pairing Wine event on November 6. They will have 4 Tables of wine including some special wines, a raffle, and more. I don't have any more details yet but you might want to mark it down on your calendar.
Update: The event will be from 4pm-7pm. Each of the 4 tables will have 6 different wines, but the same 6 foods so you can see how different pairings work. The wines includea a Barolo, an Amarone, wines from Bordeaux, Chardonnays and Pinot Noirs, a California Caberent, a LBV port and two dessert wines, among others.
2) Chef Peppino of Da Vinci Ristorante welcomes diners in this fall and winter to experience the following new programs and concoctions:
“Dinner and a Show”: Beginning on November 1, Da Vinci will offer free valet parking to all diners who enjoy a 3-course prix fixe dinner before seeing a theater production. The cost of the 3-course prix fixe dinner is $35 and diners must be seated before 6p.m. Guests have the option of enjoying their dessert with their dinner or coming back for a sweet treat post-show.
Chef Peppino will be serving the following ghoulish delicacies in celebration of All Hallows Day:
· Complementary pumpkin mousse for all guests during Halloween week, October 25-30.
· Cumin crusted striped bass with pumpkin risotto and sour cream pumpkin sauce. Served one day only on October 31.
· Blood Orange Martini: Bombay Sapphire infused with candy corn; served with orange pomegranate grenadine and finished with Moscato, $12. Served October 25 – 30.
Wine Dinner for Two: Da Vinci introduces a two person, 3-course dinner and bottle of wine promotion for only $90. Chef Peppino offers a wide selection of delicious Italian/Indian fusion courses for diners to choose from along with one palate-flattering bottle of wine. This special dinner is available Monday-Thursday all hours and Friday-Saturday before 6p.m.
New Autumn Bar Menu
Chef Peppino has whipped up five new nibble-worthy bar bites sure to scintillate crowds this fall:
All items are $4:
· Grilled Italian sausage served with broccoli rabe
· Meatball served with plum tomato sauce
· Spinach cheese fondue served with crostini
· Italian way crispy chicken wings toasted in spicy peppers
· Sweet potato French fries served with parmegiano cheese and truffle oil
Diners are also invited to indulge in the following seasonal cocktail specials. All cocktails are $12:
· Pear Explosion: Grey Goose Pear vodka, plum and honey lemon
· Pumpkin Cookie Martini: Stoli Vanil vodka, pumpkin spice and cinnamon
· Gin Basil Gimle: Hendricks gin, basil and fresh lime served in a balsamic glazed glass
3) This Thanksgiving, people across eastern Massachusetts will gather with family and friends for a delicious meal to give thanks. Unfortunately, in those same communities, thousands of those less fortunate will sit down to empty tables. This is where The Greater Boston Food Bank steps in to help.
In 2009, The Food Bank launched an online Turkey Drive to help raise funds to purchase turkeys to distribute to families who would otherwise go hungry on Thanksgiving Day. In its first year, the Turkey Drive raised enough money to distribute an additional 4,862 turkeys which helped increase the total number of turkeys distributed to 39,121 families in need in eastern Massachusetts. In 2010, The Food Bank will once again hold an online Turkey Drive with the goal of distributing 40,000 turkeys to families in need.
· For every $13 donation, The Food Bank can distribute a 12-14-lb turkey to a deserving family in eastern Massachusetts.
· Individuals/corporations/organizations can form Turkey Teams, set team-specific goals and encourage friends and family members to donate.
· Every time someone makes a donation, the Turkey Ticker on the official website increases, allowing for real time tracking of what is needed to reach our goal.
2010 Cost of a Thanksgiving Turkey: $13.00
2010 Goal: 40,000 turkeys
How to Start: Beginning October 18, you can make online donations and form your own Turkey Team at http://www.gbfb.org/turkeydrive.
Note: The Food Bank cannot accept fresh or frozen turkey donations.
Beacon Hill Hotel & Bistro on Thursday, November 25th, from 1pm-9pm and enjoy a multi-course holiday feast prepared by Executive Chef Mathew Molloy.
Thanksgiving Day Menu
Native Butternut Squash Soup (Duck Confit, Apples and Pumpkin Seed Oil)
Island Creek Oyster Stew (Leeks, Champagne, and Bacon)
Boston Bibb Lettuce (Poached Pears, Bailey Hazen Blue Cheese, Spiced Walnuts )
Turkey Liver Mousse and Turkey Rillette (Cranberry Chutney and Traditional Accompaniments)
House Cured Salt Cod Brandade Gallette (Parsley Root Puree, Parsley Salad, Picholine Olives and Walnuts)
Paired with NV Nino Franco Prosecco (Valdobbieadene, Italy)
or 2008 Huber, Gruner Veltliner « Obere Steigen » (Triasental, Austria)
* * *
Roasted Local Turkey Breast and Thigh (Sausage Apple Pecan Stuffing, Green Beans, Bacon, Roasted Onions, and Turkey Gravy)
Red Wine Braised Wolfe's Neck Farm Beef Shanks (Mashed Green Mountain Potatoes, Pearl Onions, Carrots and Parsnips)
Smoked Tamworth Ham (Bacon Braised Cabbage, Apples and Pickled Ramps)
New England Shellfish Stew with Clams, Mussels, and Scallops (Hominy, Potatoes, Smoked Tomatoes and "Ritz" Crackers)
Roasted Buttercup Squash (Heirloom Grits Spoonbread, Wilted Spinach, Roasted Carrots and Cider Sauce)
Paired with 2007 Château Moncontour Vouvray (Loire Valley, France)
or 2007 Château Semonlon, Haut Médoc, (Bordeaux, France)
* * *
Selection of Our Pies and Tarts or Local Farmstead Cheese
Paired with 2008 Domaine de Fenouillet, Muscat de Beaumes de Venise (Rhôône Valley, France)
* * *
Holiday Accompaniments for Two, $6 each
Roasted Garlic Creamed Spinach • Roasted Buttered Squash • Fresh Cranberry Sauce
Mashed Green Mountain Potatoes and Turkey Gravy • Green Beans, Roasted Onions and Bacon
Cost: $55 per person
Optional Wine Pairing For An Additional $27.00
A 20% Gratuity Will Be Automatically Added To Your Bill
Reservations are strongly suggested. Please call 617-723-7575