I am back again with a new edition of Thursday Sips & Nibbles, my regular column where I highlight some interesting wine and food items that are upcoming.
1) Legal Harborside will honor Christmas this year with a four-course customizable menu featuring the best from land, sea and vine. The feast – complete with optional wine pairings – will be presented as follows:
Sunchoke Bisque (duck confit, pear compote)
Treasures of the Sea (oysters, shrimp cocktail, accompaniments)
(add stone crab - $10)
Bay Scallop Tiradito (preserved lime, heirloom radish, aji pepper)
Lobster Pappardelle (baby carrots, black trumpet mushrooms, vanilla foam)
Seared Sea Scallops (crispy Kurobuta pork belly, Tuscan kale, smoked maple syrup)
Seared Duck Breast (Georgia sugar squash puree, chestnut farro risotto, Washington cherries, hazelnut gremolata)
Sautéed Cod (braised calamari, salt roasted potato, tomato chili broth)
Roasted Prime Rib of Beef (potato puree, root vegetables, red wine demi-glace)
Loch Duart Salmon (charred broccoli rabe, guanciale, romesco puree)
Cranberry Orange Pavlova
Duet of Eggnog Cheesecake and Opera Torte
WHEN: Wednesday, December 25 from 12pm – 8pm
COST: $60 per person (beverage, tax and gratuity not included)
Reservations can be made by contacting 617-477-2900
2) On Tuesday, December 10, at 6:45pm, Rosaria Steakhouse presents a special, pairing dinner and wine class featuring Italian selections from Masciarelli Wine Company.
Rosaria Executive Chef Simone Floretti, and Masciarelli Wine Company Chief Consultant Marc Bergeron, have teamed up to design a succulent 5-course menu paired with wines from renowned Italian vineyard; Castello di Cacchiano near Siena, Tuscany.
The Menu include:
1st Course: Bruschetta with Truffle Ricotta Cheese and Cubed Bresaola
o Wine: 2011 Toscano Rosso (a “Super-Tuscan” Red)
2nd Course: Ricotta Gnocchi with homemade Sausage Ragu
o Wine: 2006 Chianti Classico Reserva
3rd Course: Pappardelle with Short Ribs
o Wine: 2007 Chianti Classico “Millenio”
4th Course: Porcini-rubbed Delmonico Steak with Gorgonzola Sauce and Roasted Potatoes
o Wine: 2007 Toscana Rosso “Fonte Merlano”
5th Course: Christmas Panettone Bread Pudding
o Wine: 2001 Vin Santo
Cost: $85 per person (tax and gratuity included)
Reservation required - please call: 781-558-2759
There is a 48-hrs in advance cancellation notice required.
3) Leave the cooking to someone else this Christmas Day and come into Beacon Hill Hotel & Bistro on Wednesday, December 25, from 1pm-10pm.
CHRISTMAS DAY DINNER MENU (Optional wine pairing is available)
White Sweet Potato Soup (Pink Peppercorn Hickory Nut Brittle)
Duck Liver Mousse (Cranberry Mostarda, Chestnuts, Baguette)
Arugula Salad (Bayley Hazen Blue Cheese, Almonds, Rosemary)
Potato Latke (Juniper Crème Fraîche, Caviar, Apple)
Butternut Squash Ravioli (Sage, Hazelnut, Brown Butter)
Free Range Turkey Roulade (Sage and Chestnut Dressing, Potato Purée, Gravy)
Maine Salmon (Pumpkin and Cranberry Couscous, Spiced Beurre Rouge)
Roasted Delicata Squash (Grit, Mushroom, Black Truffle Vinaigrette)
Roast Goose (Braised Winter Greens, Baby Turnip)
Painted Hills Sirloin (Sunchoke Puree, Glazed Carrots, Braised Short Rib)
Juniper Brined Mangalista Ham (Saurkraut, Local Apple)
Chocolate Mousse Cake
Local Cheese Plate
$61 per person (does not include tax, beverages or 20% gratuity). $29 for optional wine pairing. A 20% Gratuity Will Be Automatically Added To Your Bill
Reservations are required and can be made by calling 617-723-7575.
4) On Saturday, December 14, from 10am-3pm, Santa Claus will be paying Harvard Square a special visit at the Beat Hôtel for its first annual family-friendly Santa brunch. Guests of the Santa Brunch can count on food and drink from Chef Rebecca Newell, live holiday music from Bailey Cunningham, photo opportunities and mingling and jingling with the big man himself...Santa Claus.
Executive Chef Rebecca Newell will serve a selection of brunch fare such as quiche made with spinach, kale, artichoke & feta served with frites & salad ($12), French toast with whipped cream and apple & pear compote ($12) and eggs benedict with choice of ham ($12) house smoked salmon ($13.50) or spinach ($12) while children can order scrumptious selections off the “Flower Children” menu including kiddie scrambled eggs & toast ($7.50), grilled cheese ($7.50) and French toast ($7.50).
While the little ones are running around with Santa, parents can sneak in one of Beat’s hand-crafted cocktails such as the Electric Sidecar, Clear Creek apple brandy, Fruit Lab orange organic liqueur and sour mix ($12) and Kir, Qupe Vinyard Chardonnay and Cassis ($12.5), or warm up with one of Beat’s 24 wines on tap, all available in 2.5 oz, 5oz, or 12oz pours. Singer and pianist Bailey Cunningham and her band will get everyone in the holiday spirit with a live performance featuring classic holiday tunes!
This is an event for kids of all ages. Santa will be available for photos opportunities, but cameras will not be provided. Reservations are highly recommended and can be made by calling 617-499-0001. Regular brunch pricing and specials offered. No cover charge.
5) Chef Chris Coombs and dbar host a monthly Wine Dinner Series features a four course menu designed to complement wine pairings from a different region of the world on the first Wednesday of every month. This December Wine Dinner pairs red wines with four courses of fresh, seasonal fair. Knowledgeable wine representatives will be on-site to guide guests through what promises to be a truly complementary evening of food and drink.
Duck Liver Pate, Grilled Bread, Fried Castelvetrano Olives, Pickled Red Onion & Golden Raisin Chutney
Scala Dei Negre 2010
Perigord Black Truffle, Farro Risotto, Farm Egg, Ellsworth’s House Smoked Bacon
Chateau Dubourg Saint Emilion 2010
Classic Beef Bourguignon
Matchbook Cabernet Sauvignon 2010
Allison Lakins, Lakins Gorges Cheese, Opus 42, from Rockport, Maine / Accompaniments
Liar’s Dice Zinfandel 2009
When: Wednesday, December 4, at 7pm
Cost: $55/person not including tax and gratuity.
To make a reservation, please call 617-265-4490.