I am back again with a new edition of Thursday Sips & Nibbles, my regular column where I highlight some interesting, upcoming food & drink events.. **********************************************************
As part of Legal Sea Foods’ “Endless Summer” at the Charles Square location in Cambridge, their outdoor Terrace Bar will feature a “Souped Up Gazpacho Bar” during the month of August. Legal Sea Foods will serve up a choice of four gazpacho bases that can be customized by adding up to seven toppings:
August: Souped Up Gazpacho Bar
Because: Cold soup on a hot day works, and seafood on top makes it even cooler.
One Cup ($6)
Gazpacho Trio ($15)
· Red - tomato with veggies and tortilla strips
· Green - cucumber, Greek yogurt, avocado
· Yellow - cantaloupe, crème fraîche, EVOO
· White - almonds, sherry vinegar, grapes
Toppings ($3 each)
· Sweet Maine Crab Meat
· Pickled Texas Shrimp
· Squid Escabeche
· Saffron Poached Mussels
· Cajun Flaked Salmon
· Pickled Papaya
· Mango Salsa
2) The Seaport Hotel and its mixologists have teamed up with Boston-area restaurants to try to create an elixir to ease the pain of our end-of-summer blues. Thus it has created – The Rum Rumble: Grog Games. You won’t want to miss this opportunity to taste the unique creations mixed by some of Boston’s top bartenders using Papa’s Pilar Rum for a competitive event.
This first-ever rum competition will be held on August 19 from 6pm to 8pm at the Seaport World Trade Center. Bartenders are encouraged to be creative, using an existing recipe from their eatery or a new twist on an old classic; attendees will vote and be the final judge of who will emerge victorious from battle at these Grog Games – and be dubbed champion of this Rum Rumble.
For $25 per person (Must be 21+) , guests will enjoy sample-sized servings of the grogs and light hors d’oeuvres provided by Seaport. Participating restaurants include: Fee Brothers, Casa B, Backbar, Aquitaine, Boston Chops, Moonshine 152, Citizen Public House and Oyster Bar, Kirkland Tap & Trotter and TAMO Bistro & Bar.
3) Executive Chef/Partner Robert Sisca and Head Sommelier Todd Lipman of Bistro du Midi present the final month of the three-part Summer Rosé Tour. While Rosé wines are enjoyed year round, they are most prominently celebrated in the summer months. To embrace the ever-growing popularity of this wine, Bistro du Midi is presenting the 2015 Summer Rosé Tour. Head Sommelier Todd Lipman has compiled an assortment of intriguing selections to be offered in multiple formats. These wines pair well with Chef Robert Sisca’s featured dish of the month, highlighting the remarkable flavors of Provençe.
The full August menu is as follows:
Grilled Red Snapper ($27)
White Peach, Arugula, Lemon Vinaigrette
2013 L'Escarelle, Cuvée Esca Rosé, IGP Var:
Dry, citrusy, and mineral with advanced texture and loads of focus
11 glass / 16.50 pichet / 24 demi / 48 bottle
2014 Côté Mas, Rosé Aurore, Sud de France
Dry and crisp with cranberry notes and hints of herbs de Provence
12 glass / 18 pichet / 26 demi / 52 bottle
2014 Jean-Luc Colombo, Cape Bleue Rosé, VdP Méditerranée
Soft and elegant, yet dry with hints of tropical fruit and fresh flowers
13 glass / 19.50 pichet / 29 demi / 58 bottle
The Summer Rosé Tour is available to enjoy in Café du Midi, Bistro du Midi’s downstairs Café.
For reservations or more information, please call Bistro du Midi at 617-426-787
4) On October 21, from 6pm-10pm, join Steve DiFillippo and the Davio’s family in celebrating 30 successful years in Boston with plenty of food, drinks and dancing all for a good cause. Davio’s Boston (located at 75 Arlington Street) will shut its doors for one-night-only in a celebration to benefit The Greater Boston Food Bank. Guests will mingle with local Boston celebrities and sports players as they celebrate the evening with cocktails, wine and Prosecco featured at the open bar, enjoying a wide variety of Davio’s classics from appetizers, homemade pastas, Brandt beef steaks, extensive array of seafood, delectable desserts and much much more - all prepared by the culinary team as they dance the night away to live music by French Lick with WYC Grousebeck on the drums.
In 1985, Steve DiFillippo took ownership of an existing restaurant called Davio’s, located on Newbury Street in Boston’s Back Bay. DiFillippo transformed the location into a fine dining destination. Thirty years later, Davio’s Northern Italian Steakhouse, at its Arlington Street location, has become a dining institution in Boston and beyond—with seven thriving locations along the East Coast including Atlanta, Boston, Chestnut Hill, Foxborough, Lynnfield, Manhattan, Philadelphia and opening in Downtown Los Angeles. According to Steve, “After 30 years I feel that I am just getting started.”
100% of the proceeds raised will be donated to The Greater Boston Food Bank.
COST: $200 Per Guest (includes open bar & food)
Limited space is available, to purchase tickets in advance or for more information visit: