I am back again with a new edition of Thursday Sips & Nibbles, my regular column where I highlight some interesting, upcoming food & drink events.
1) Blue on Highland, located in Needham, is ringing in the New Year with a special Scotch & Steak Dinner on Wednesday, January 13 at 7:00PM. Scotch expert Nick Taylor’s passion and expertise is widely known in the industry and he will be leading the group through the multi-course prix fixe menu with paired scotches and detailed explanations of each.
Whether you are new to the world of Scotch, or a seasoned pro, this dinner is perfect for all. For guests that enjoy the selections of the evening, purchase orders will be available to own bottles of their own.
Nick will be joined by Scott Drago, General Manager of Blue on Highland and Executive Chef Peter Tartsinis as the three of them guide diners through the following multi-course prix fixe menu
~Welcome dram of Balvenie 12yr DoubleWood~
Charcuterie Board (Vermont Aged Cheddar, Bleu Cheese, Baked Brie, Soppressata, Prosciutto, Homemade Jerky)
Scotch Pairing: Laphroaig 15yr
Mushroom Leek and Goat Cheese Flatbread (Wild Mushrooms, Roasted Leek, Goat Cheese)
Scotch Pairing: Balblair vintage 1990 25yr old
14oz Ribeye (Mashed Red-Skinned Potatoes, Garlicky Broccoli, blue cheese, demi-glace)
Scotch Pairing: Old Pulteney 17yr
Chocolate Bread Pudding (Butterscotch Chips, Richardson’s Dairy salted Caramel Ice Cream)
Scotch Pairing: Glendronach 15yr Revival
PRICE: $85.00 per person (tax & gratuity not included)
Reservations required. so please call 781-444-7001.
2) In honor of National Soup Month, Legal Sea Foods will be declaring January 15 as “Chowda Day.” Available at all Legal Sea Foods’ brands and locations for the duration of the day, $1 cups of their signature New England Clam Chowder will be served up with the purchase of an entrée. Legal Sea Foods’ iconic clam chowder recipe has been dished out at every Presidential Inauguration since 1981. This special offer also is available at Legal C Bar, Legal Crossing, Legal Harborside, Legal on the Mystic, Legal Oysteria and Legal Test Kitchen.
COST: $1 per cup of clam chowder with purchase of an entrée
3) The 11th Annual CityFeast in Boston’s North End will be held on Sunday, January 31, at 6pm. The event is a fun-filled evening hosted by nine restaurants in Boston: Antico Forno, Aria Trattoria, Bricco, Lucca, Lucia, Strega, Taranta, Terramia Ristorante, and Tresca. Tickets include a five-course dinner with wine pairings at one of the participating restaurants; proceeds will benefit Joslin Diabetes Center’s High Hopes Fund, which supports the Center’s greatest needs in research, education and clinical care.
Founded in 2005 by Carla Agrippino Gomes, owner of Antico Forno and Terramia, CityFeast has raised nearly $280,000 for Joslin Diabetes Center’s High Hopes Fund. Carla started this fundraiser in the North End of Boston with her restaurants and several others as a way to support Joslin Diabetes Center and the life-saving care her son receives since being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 24 years ago. Joslin Diabetes Center is the world’s preeminent diabetes research and care organization, located right here in Boston.
Tickets are priced at $150 each, of which $100 is tax deductible. Due to high demand, reservations are limited, and will be distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis.
For more information on CityFeast or to purchase tickets visit: giving.joslin.org/cityfeast
4) Starting this month, BISq Chef Dan Bazzinotti and the team invite guests to join them on Friday nights to enjoy a rotating Suckling Pig special. BISq will be adding a shareable suckling pig special dish to their menu every Friday night. Each week, the suckling pig will be prepared in a different style and will cost $16.
WHEN: Every Friday night from 5:30pm to 12am
For more information, please visit www.bisqcambridge.com or call (617) 714-3693.
5) Beginning January 7 and extending to February 10, Legal Sea Foods will be celebrating crustaceans with the “Shrimp Classic” feature menu available at Legal Sea Foods, Legal C Bar, Legal on the Mystic and Legal Harborside locations.
Seafood-lovers will indulge in a series of special starters, light entrees and entrees:
Coconut Shrimp ($13.95) orange ginger marmalade
Mediterranean Grilled Shrimp ($11.95) roasted eggplant chutney, red pepper pesto with walnuts & pomegranate
Chipotle Shrimp Taco ($15.95) salsa verde, queso fresco, avocado
Shrimp BLT ($15.95) chorizo aioli, bacon, arugula, tomato, griddled flatbread
Buffalo Shrimp & Blue Cheese Salad ($16.95) frisee, romaine, blue cheese vinaigrette, radish, celery
Shrimp Pad Thai ($21.95; pictured below) rice noodles, stir-fried vegetables, egg, bean sprouts, peanuts, Thai basil
Baked Stuffed Shrimp Casserole ($27.95) jumbo shrimp, buttery crabmeat stuffing
Shrimp Fra Diavolo ($23.95) spicy Calabrian pepper, tomato sauce
Tempura Kung Pao Shrimp & Vegetables ($21.95) snap peas, cauliflower, red peppers, pineapple, jasmine rice