I am back again with a new edition of Thursday Sips & Nibbles, my regular column where I highlight some interesting, upcoming food & drink events.
1) The team at ArtBar, Royal Sonesta Boston’s locally-infused restaurant, is cheering for the New England Patriots and knows a thing or two about rooting for the home team. As a restaurant with travelers from every part of the world, they have heard it all. To defend the home team the best way they know how, ArtBar has created a specialty “Bully For Brady” cocktail.
Cheer on ‘the most hated team’ in the NFL as they ‘do their job.’ From the special “Bully For Brady” cocktail to a new football menu featuring half-priced wings, ArtBar is ready for some football.
Bully For Brady
“We created this with Tom Brady in mind” explains Kevin Khem, restaurants director at Royal Sonesta Boston. “We are keeping the cocktail clean and fresh with nothing artificial – the way Tom likes to eat. Bully Boy Whiskey is perfect for a football themed cocktail.”
Bully Boy Whiskey
Garnished with fresh cranberries and a lemon twist
Football Game Day Menu
The special football game day menu, offered Sundays 1pm- til closing:
½ price wings – lime garlic, sriracha roasted peanuts
Loaded Fries – cheddar, mozzarella, bacon, scallion, garlic parmesan aioli
Fried Calamari – roasted tomato sauce
½ BBQ Ribs – pickled peppers, cornbread
2) Brassica Kitchen + Café Co-Chef/Owners Jeremy Kean and Phil Kruta invite you to a '6-Course Tasting Menu' to raise awareness and funds for Rise Up for Justice. Along with Chef Kean and Kruta, the event will be hosted by Beth Fraster and Rosie McMahan in collaboration with James Mackey of Opportunity Youth United. All Proceeds from the event will support Opportunity Youth United’s work.
Opportunity Youth United is a movement of young leaders from all backgrounds working towards creating a nation where all young people can reach their highest potential and noblest aspirations in the context of supportive, healthy, and inclusive communities. The active membership reflects a diverse group of religions, genders, sexual preferences, and geographical areas across the United States.
The event will take place on October 30th from 6 to 8 pm.
Tickets cost $200 per person or $350 per couple. Attendees will be treated to a 6 course French inspired meal with wine pairings.
To purchase tickets, please go to: http://boston.eventful.com/events/rise-up-justice-/E0-001-094910245-1
3) On Halloween night, Union Square will be home to a Murder Mystery as Brass Union presents a classic game of “Who Done It?” hosted throughout the venue. Beginning at 8pm, the Brass team will be in full character while they go about their business and guests try to solve the mystery at-hand. Adult trick-or-treaters will comb the scene for clues while doing some of their best detective work questioning the (mostly) unassuming service staff to determine who went on a murderous tear. The first one to figure it out will get a $100 gift card to Brass Union.
Party-goers also will have their chance to shine with Brass Union’s annual costume contest, as voted on by the Brass team. Before 11pm, present yourself at the host stand for your close-up as they snap a picture and later confer with their colleagues in choosing the “Best in Show.” The winner will take home a $100 cash prize, and have bragging rights through the next All Hallows Eve. Additionally, Halloween faithful will be treated to piles of candy and other festive swag and DJ J-Wall will take to the turntables starting at 10pm to spin the “Monster Mash” and other spooky sounds.
Admission is complimentary. This event is reserved for ages 21+.
4) Travel back in time with CHOPPS American Bar and Grill at the First Annual 80’s Themed Halloween Costume party in partnership with The 33 Foundation. Dawn your best perm, apply that frosted blue eyeshadow, and throw on your favorite leg warmers for a party that will be “totally tubular”. DJ Doze will be dropping beats and playing top 80’s hits all night. The Burlington Marriott Boston Hotel will be offering a discounted overnight stay and breakfast for party goers for just $129/night.
Proceeds from tickets sales will go to The 33 Foundation, a community of beneficiaries and donors that are passionate about helping those living with and recovering from spinal cord injury.
To register for the 80s Themed Halloween Party, please contribute a donation of $33 or more to The 33 Foundation at http://www.the33foundation.org/new-events. Donations/admission will also be available at the door.
5) Committee is hosting a special Halloween Brunch on Sunday, October 30th featuring beats from DJ Ryan Brown from 12pm–5pm.
Guests are invited to indulge in an array of Meze Dishes (perfect for sharing), Breakfast favorites with a Greek twist, and Greek-inspired Lunch Entrees while Beverage Director Peter Szigeti crafts up creepy cocktails behind the bar.
Please make reservations by calling 617-737-5051
6) In celebration of Halloween, The Beehive is bringing a sensual side to terror on Thursday, October 27, from 5pm-12am, at its Dead Sexy Burlesque show. This year, the space will be transformed into the Evil Laboratory and Cabaret Space of Mad Scientist Dr. Johanny Porkenpie (Jonny Porkpie) and his three peek-a-boo darlings. For one night only the slasher flasher showcase Dead Sexy will leave its weekly Times Square, New York City venue for its annual Boston appearance. Throughout the evening, Executive Chef Gregory Torrech will be serving up devilishly delicious dinner specials alongside special cocktail concoctions from the evening’s sponsor, Beam Suntory.
The psychopath who created Pinchbottom Theatrical Burlesque (named the "Best Burlesque" in NYC - The Village Voice, New York Magazine) and the infamous international burlesque gameshow "Grab My Junk" has dug up a skeleton crew of ghoulishly gorgeous (and gorgeously ghoulish) burlesque stars, to possess the stage of The Beehive just in time for Halloween. Terror has never been so titillating; horror has never been so hot. Come scream — with excitement — at this frighteningly attractive, monstrously talented, insanely seductive night of blood & gore and bump & grind.
Since 2013, Dead Sexy has been haunting the stages of Times Scare, a year-round Haunted House and performance venue in Times Square, NYC. Showcasing acts of more haunting nature, Dead Sexy has featured over a hundred top burlesque stars from across the country and around the world, including over a dozen Burlesque Hall of Fame “Queen of Burlesque” winners. This October in New York, a world-premiere Off-Broadway play will tell the electrifying story behind the creation of this burlesque cabaret.
Show begins at 8pm.
Cost: No cover charge
RSVP: Dinner reservations are encouraged and can be made by calling (617) 423-0069.