I am back again with a new edition of Thursday Sips & Nibbles, my regular column where I highlight some interesting, upcoming food & drink events.
1) Doretta Taverna & Raw Bar knows that Tuesday isn’t the ideal day for a Valentine’s night out, which is why they are letting guests celebrate on their own schedule by offering the special V-day menu from Friday, February 10th until Saturday, February 19th. Doretta will be offering a $65 per person tasting menu with an optional $30 per person wine pairing, a $75 raw tower, and a special bar menu addition of Surf and Turf for 2. This romantic menu features a raw bar, spreads with house-made pita and salad, choose your own mezze, shared entrée, and dessert.
For reservations, please call (617) 422-0008
2) Posto, the Italian Restaurant & Wine Bar located in the heart of Davis Square, is offering, on Tuesday, February 14th, a romantic Valentine’s Day menu that will surely impress your honey. Featuring Cotuit Oysters, Lobster Bisque, Black Truffle Mac’N’Cheese, Duck Tortelloni, Fig Risotto, Cauciucco, L’Opera Cake, and Vanilla Panna Cotta. This 3 course prix fixe menu is available for $50 per person or guests can enjoy selected favorites from Posto’s regular menu. Reservations are recommended.
For reservations, please call (617) 625-0600
3) Romance is alive and well at Bar Boulud, Boston in Boston’s Back Bay neighborhood, and Chef de Cuisine Michael Denk is getting ready to make hearts and stomachs, swoon! Featuring a three-course prix fixe menu ($90 per person) with the option of sommelier selected wine pairings (+$55), Chef Denk’s Valentine’s Day menu will be served as follows:
Amuse Bouche – Smoked Scallop, crème fraiche, pickled kumquat, caviar
First Course (choice of one):
--Endive Salad – roasted beets, goat cheese croquette, candied walnuts, sherry vinaigrette;
--Sunchoke Velouté – lemon Chantilly, garlic chip, scallion;
--Citrus –Cured Fluke – blood orange, rainbow carrots, candied ginger, cilantro;
--Foie Gras Mousse – grenadine poached quince, almonds, housemade brioche.
Second Course (choice of one):
--Wild Mushroom Ravioli – confit leeks, porcini parmesan broth, prosciutto chip;
--American Snapper – “count neck” clams, shrimp, saffron broth, baby fennel;
--Beef Duo – braised short rib, filet mignon, bone marrow crust, pommes aligot, broccoli rabe, Tokyo turnips, natural jus.
Dessert to Share – (Created by Pastry Chef Robert Differ)
--Rouleau J’Adore – red velvet cake, cream cheese mousse, roasted strawberry ice cream
For reservations, please call (617) 535-8800
4) Besito Mexican, with locations in Chestnut Hill and Burlington, is spicing up Valentine’s Day with a duo of guest-favorite “Platos Principales” specials, including Pescado Relleno, pan-roasted filet of Mahi Mahi stuffed with shrimp, lobster and crabmeat, served over roasted Brussels sprouts and topped with a red bell pepper habanero cream salsa ($32), and Bistec en Salsa Verde, cilantro-marinated pan-seared New York Strip Steak topped with queso asado, guacamole and grilled shrimp ($30).
A love-inducing cocktail, the Mi Rosa, a blend of Patron Roca Reposado tequila, guava nectar, simple syrup and fresh lime juice, garnished with a rose petal ($13) is perfect for sipping with your better half, while the Choco Flan, Besito’s famous chocolate cake and caramel flan topped with fresh whipped cream, tequila cream sauce and fresh strawberry sauce, guarantees a sweet ending to the celebratory meal ($8).
For reservations, please call: Chestnut Hill (617) 527-1155, Burlington (781) 272-9900
5) On Tuesday, February 14, Terramia Ristorante, located in the heart of Boston’s North End, is celebrating Valentine’s Day with a four-course prix fixe menu featuring a romantic take on traditional Italian dishes.
Guests can start dinner off with a glass of Villa Sandi Il Fresco Prosecco Brut accompanied by their choice of appetizers including the Insalata di Spinaci with dried California figs, toasted Pignoli nuts and gorgonzola dolce tossed in a pancetta vinaigrette; Caprese, a fresh buffalo mozzarella and tomato salad with basil and olive oil; or the Zuppa Di Funghi, wild mushrooms and chestnut soup with goat cheese and truffle oil. In true Italian fashion there will be a course dedicated to pasta with options such as Pappardelle alla Bolognese, Ravioli di Aragosta, and Risotto Porcini e Asparagi before moving to the main course which includes: Pollo Marsala served with wild mushrooms, smoked pancetta, herb roasted potato and thyme Marsala cream sauce; Filet Mignon with truffle potato mash, sautéed broccoli rabe and a red wine reduction; or Pan Seared Salmon with mustard crab meat crust, roasted potato, wilted baby spinach and a citrus reduction. The night will end on a sweet note when guests choose between the Tiramisu or Torta al Cioccolato Senza Farina, house-baked flourless chocolate cake.
The four-course dinner is $75 per person (tax and gratuity not included).
Reservations are highly recommended and can be made by calling Terramia at (617) 523-3112.
6) This Valentine’s Day, TAMO Bistro + Bar at the Seaport Hotel will roll out a special menu to attract lovebirds – and lovers of deals – which will feature an array of hors d’oeuvres, followed by a two-course menu and a shared bottle of wine for only $50 per person (plus tax and service).
Highlights from Chef Robert Tobin’s Valentine’s Day menu include a local oyster selection with champagne hibiscus granite and exceptional entrees such as duck two ways (confit & roasted with ancient grains, pomegranate, pearl onions) and a lamb shank. For dessert, treat yourself to the chocolate molten cake (cappuccino ice cream and cardamom anglaise) or the ginger flan (dulce de leche, apricots, whipped cream). Top it off by sharing a festive, rum-based Cupid Bowl (Bacardi mango rum, Bacardi coconut rum, mango & cranberry juices, absinthe, strawberries, passion fruit - $40) with your Valentine, which has been added to TAMO’s cocktail list just in time for holiday.
COST: $50 per person plus tax & service
For reservations, please call (617) 385-4304
7) Bring your date to Davio's Northern Italian Steakhouse, located in Boston’s Back Bay, for a romantic rendezvous this Valentine’s Day. Davio’s Executive Chef Eric Swartz has prepared a special three-course prix-fixe menu for the evening, which includes items such as the Maine Lobster Risotto, Asparagus, Fresh Herbs, Lobster Cream and 12 oz Prime New York Sirloin, Horseradish Mashed, Green Beans, Bordelaise. The menu will be available Tuesday, February 14th, 2017 for $95 per guest (excluding tax & gratuity).
Reservations are recommended and can be made by calling (617) 357-4810.
Please note that this will be the only menu available for the evening.
8) This Valentine’s Day, “seas” the love at Saltie Girl, the latest endeavor from restaurateur Kathy Sidell. Throughout the weekend, Friday, February 10th, through Sunday, February 12th, and of course on Tuesday, February 14th, guests will enjoy seven savory specials in addition to Saltie Girl’s regular dinner menu. Guests also have the rare opportunity to make reservations on Tuesday, February 14th, 2017, for one night only.
Executive Chef Kyle McClelland has crafted an impressive à la carte menu to compliment the regular dinner options with shareable seafood dishes like Whole Lobster for Two “Chinese Style,” with ginger, scallion and coconut sticky rice, as well as Whole Fried Black Bass for Two with hen of the wood mushrooms, garlic peapods and black garlic sauce. Other featured dishes include Whole Roasted Foie Gras with king trumpet mushrooms and BBQ eel, as well as Hawaiian Kanpachi with grapefruit, kumquat, Serrano chili pepper, trout roe and smoked olive oil. End the evening in true decadence with Oysters and Caviar with Meyer lemon foam, cucumber and caviar.
To make a reservation, please call (617) 267-0691