I am back again with a new edition of Thursday Sips & Nibbles, my regular column where I highlight some interesting, upcoming food & drink events.
1) On Wednesday, November 20, from 6pm-9pm, the team at Bistro du Midi welcomes guests to join them for the celebration of Executive Chef Robert Sisca’s Truffles & Piemonte Dinner. Chef Sisca is celebrating the seasonal products of Northern Italy including the most sought after of all ingredients - white truffles. And, Sommelier Chris Blanken has sourced rare Italian wines to pair with each course. We invite you to attend this one-of-a-kind dinner to enjoy all that Italy has to share with us during Fall.
Bluefin Tuna Crudo, Foie Gras "Snow" Fresh White Truffles - Krug, Grand Cuvée 166th Edition
Hudson Valley Foie Gras, Apple, Sweet Potato, Pomegranate Foie Jus - Cantina del Pino, Ovello, Barbasesco, 2009 1.5L
Saffron Tagliatelle, Truffle Buratta, Hen of Wood Mushrooms, Fresh White Truffles - Cavallotto, Bricco Boschis Riserva, Vigna San Giuseppe, Barolo 2001
Beef Cheek Daube, Salsify, Apple Pear, Black Truffle Pomme Purée - Produttori del Barbaresco, Barbaresco 1990
Hazelnut Chocolate Tarte, Butter Pear, Black Truffle Ice Cream - G.D. Vajra, Barolo Chinato
Limited tickets available for $375 per person. Tickets can be purchased by logging onto Eventbrite. Tax and gratuity included.
2) The Mashantucket Pequot Museum & Research Center will host its eighth annual Veterans Powwow and FEAST, a Native Thanksgiving buffet. The public is encouraged to celebrate Native American Heritage month at these events, both held inside the 308,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art facility and world’s largest Native American museum.
On Saturday, November 9, the Honoring the Veterans Powwow will unite and honor Native and non-Native Americans who have bravely served side by side in the U.S. Armed Forces for more than 200 years. Doors open at 10 a.m. and the grand entry begins at noon. Drawing nearly 1,000 veterans, active-duty service members, families and members each year, attendees will be immersed in breathtaking performances, dazzling regalia and traditional music as 100 dancers and drummers compete inside the soaring, two-story, glass-encased Gathering Space.
Powwow admission for veterans and active-duty military with a valid ID plus one guest is free and includes a complimentary luncheon at 2 p.m. Entry for museum members is free; general public $10; children 5 and under free. Specialty lunch fare including Native American dishes will be available at the Pequot Café.
FEAST, a Native Thanksgiving buffet, will take place on Saturday, November 23, from 3pm–5pm, with a members only reception from 2pm–3pm. Diners will enjoy a mouthwatering, Native-inspired menu featuring traditional flavors with a modern twist prepared using locally sourced seafood, game, turkey and produce.
Signature dishes include roasted cedar-planked salmon with onion jam; roasted venison with local wild mushrooms; butternut squash cakes topped with sunflower and pumpkin seeds; succotash soup; stuffed acorn squash; three sisters’ rice; blueberry cobbler; pumpkin flan with maple caramel sauce; and more. The museum’s education supervisor, Chris Newell, will offer insights on Native cultures and foodways prior to the buffet.
Cost for adult members is $55; adult non-members $75; children 12 and under $35. For a complete menu and to register please click here.
3) Celebrate Thanksgiving this year with a feast of flavor on the Massachusetts waterfront, as Victory Point hosts a family-friendly holiday buffet in its cozy seaside dining room in Marina Bay. The Frattaroli family takes all the trouble out of Thanksgiving by preparing classic turkey dinner paired with fresh local seafood and Italian-inspired seasonal favorites befitting the family’s North End legacy.
Among the highlights: handmade roasted pumpkin ravioli, chef Riccardo Passini’s fresh-baked focaccia, and turkey dinner with all the fixin’s, including butternut squash, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce and so much more. Seafood options include steamed mussels, New England clam chowder, and shrimp scampi.
“Thanksgiving is our family’s favorite holiday and we’re delighted to share some of our delicious seasonal favorites with our friends, neighbors and their families,” said Victory Point owner Donato Frattaroli. “We have so much to be thankful for this year, including this beautiful spot for waterfront dining here in Marina Bay. There are few better locations to celebrate Thanksgiving in New England.”
Victory Point’s Thanksgiving buffet will be available on Thursday, November 28, from Noon to 6 p.m. The cost is $35/person and $17.50/children 10 and under. Definitely a very reasonable price, especially for a holiday dinner. Contact Victory Point for reservations at 617-481-1070.
4) On Thanksgiving Thursday, November 28th from 11:00am to 8:00pm, celebrate Thanksgiving at Davio's Lynnfield. Executive Chef Andres Tavares has created a special Thanksgiving Day menu, including the following:
Thanksgiving Dinner Menu
Oven Roasted Vermont Free-Range Organic Turkey, Yukon Gold Creamy Potatoes, Orange Glazed Carrots, Butternut Squash, Green Beans, Herb Stuffing, Homemade Gravy, Cranberry Apple Chutney
The Davio's Thanksgiving dinner menu is $65 per adult and $23 per child (12 years & under). Beverages, Tax & Gratuity not included. An A la Carte dinner menu is also available.
There is also a Special Holiday Dessert Menu, including:
Pumpkin Pie, Spiced Caramel Sauce, Chantilly Cream
Apple Pie, Vanilla Bean Gelato
Pecan Pie, Bourbon Crème Anglaise
These Desserts are available for $12 each.
Reservations are necessary, so please call Davio's at 781-944-4810
5) On Thursday, November 28th from 11:00am to 4:00pm, Aura at the Seaport Hotel is offering an expansive buffet of Thanksgiving favorites and breakfast classics fit for the whole family. The gourmet brunch features breakfast staples such as French Toast, Tomato and Basil Quiche, and Eggs Benedict as well as traditional turkey day dishes like Roast Turkey Breast with gravy, Cornbread Stuffing, mashed potatoes, and roasted Brussels sprouts. A Raw Bar of oysters, clams, and shrimp cocktails and salad options will round out the decadent meal. Leave room for indulgent treats from the dessert buffet including a chocolate fountain, holiday cakes, pies, and mini pastries.
The cost is $85 for adults; $25 for children ages 5-12; and free for children 4 & under (plus tax and service). For reservations, please call 617-385-4304.