I am back again with a new edition of Thursday Sips & Nibbles, my regular column where I highlight some interesting, upcoming food & drink events.
1) For Super Bowl Sunday, Canary Square, in Jamaica Plain, will be throwing a game-watching party with all the action taking place on its huge projector. From 5 p.m. until halftime, guests can indulge in an all-you-can-eat buffet for only $20 (drinks not included). Its regular menu will also be available for purchase.
The buffet will offer:
--Super Healthy Taco Salad- Red Beans, Pickled Fresno's, Grilled Chicken, Fresh Tortilla, Chip, Choice of Taco Salad Dressing or Lime Vinaigrette.
--Build Your Own Nacho Bar- Queso Dip, Refried Beans, Jalapenos, Salsa, Sour Cream, Olives, Scallions, Beef Chili, Chicken Chili.
--Wings- Choice of Buffalo, Barbecue, Honey Mustard
--Hand Cut Fries
--Fried Mozzarella Sticks- Marinara
--Pizza- Cheese or Pepperoni
--Pulled Pork Sliders
2) Also for Super Bowl Sunday, CHOPPS American Bar & Grill in Burlington, welcomes Patriots fans to the expansive bar at CHOPPS for all the action of the Super Bowl. Guests can cheer on the Pats with a view of the game from every seat. Chef Steve Zimei (check out his Interview that was posted yesterday) will be offering a special Game Day bar menu, with specials including:
ATL ‘We Smoked You’ Chicken Wings
Hickory-smoked, Lemon Pepper Sauce, Alabama White Sauce
The Gridiron Grinder
Housemade Sausage, Peppers and Castle Island Beer-braised Onions, Whole Grain Mustard Aioli, Baguette
Fourth Down Flat Bread
Braised Short Rib, Gorgonzola Cream, Seared Cipollini Onions, Arugula
TB12 Chili Dip
Pork, Beef, and Veal , Red Kidney Beans, Monterey Jack Cheese , Sour Cream , Housemade Spicy Chips
Field Goal Bruschetta
--Braised Pork Belly, Melted Taleggio Cheese, Truffle Vinaigrette
--Marinated Heirloom Tomato, Basil, Aged Balsamic Vinegar
--Rock Shrimp, Smoked Tomato, Garlic Butter, Herb Pesto
Jansel Valley Bresaola, local Prosciutto, Cave-aged Cheddar, Coulemmier, Fig Jam, Crostini
Gronk Goes Nuts
Oven-roasted Four Rose Bourbon-glazed Cashews, Smoked Sea Salt
3) On Tuesday, February 13, at 6:30pm, Legal Sea Foods in Park Square will host a wine dinner paired with selections from Opus One Winery (Oakville, California). French in style but Californian in execution, the iconic winery was officially born in 1983 and is the brainchild of two powerful and dynamic wine personalities: Philippe de Rothschild of Chateau Mouton Rothschild in Bordeaux and Napa Valley vintner Robert Mondavi. Sharing one vision which was to create wine of uncompromising quality, the two set off on a journey which would redefine and alter the course of fine wine production in the Napa Valley region.
Today, Opus One is made up of four parcels comprising approximately 170 acres and produces one ultra-premium California red wine blend each year. While the grape composition of each vintage is different, Opus One is most often a blend of five grape varietals – Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Malbec and Petit Verdot.
Legal Sea Foods will team up with Opus One Winery’s sales manager Ms. France Posener, a 30-year veteran of the winery, to host a four-plus-course dinner featuring signature cuisine paired with her selections from the Opus One Winery. The menu will be presented as follows
Smoked Sable, Rosemary Toast, Lemon-Dill Aioli,
Asian Beef Salad, Phyllo Tart
Citrus-Ginger Cream Tart
Veuve Clicquot Rosé Brut Champagne, NV
Veal Roulade (chanterelle mushrooms, roasted Yukon gold potatoes, baby mâche, truffle beurre blanc)
Opus One, Oakville, 2010
Petite Filet Mignon (bone marrow, roasted root vegetables, apple beurre rouge)
Opus One, Oakville, 2014
Stuffed Swordfish (crab meat, boursin, winter squash risotto, porcini mushroom marsala sauce)
Opus One, Oakville, 2004
Brillat-Savarin, Époisses, Clothbound, Cave-Aged Cheddar (Mediterranean olives, black mission figs, sliced prosciutto, focaccia toast points)
Overture by Opus One, Oakville, MV
COST: $250 per person, excludes tax & gratuity
Reservation required by calling 617-530-9397
4) Best Burger Bar, located in Brookline, announces their latest Burger Special, the Bacon-No-Hater, a limited-edition burger for the month of February. The Bacon-No-Hater is a triple dry-aged burger with double bacon, double cheddar cheese and Umami Sauce on an all-natural potato bun. This burger is sure to please all the bacon lovers out there.
No meal is complete without a cocktail, and The Hilltop, a classic on the Best Burger Bar cocktail menu, goes perfectly with anything and everything. The Hilltop cocktail pays homage to the famous Hilltop restaurant on Route 1, which Best Burger Bar’s Beverage Director, Brother Cleve, frequented as a child. The Hilltop is a combination of Tenure British Vodka, Ford’s Gin, House-made bone broth, prickly pear syrup, Cocchi Americano, fresh lemon juice, and bitters that makes for a unique blend of sweet and savory. A garnish of an all-natural, pasture raised meat stick fully ties together drink.
5) Last October, I reviewed the Moldova Restaurant in Newton, and stated: "The Moldova Restaurant is unique and interesting, with plenty of diverse and delicious food. Much of it is comfort food, sure to please your palate and belly. The welcoming vibe of the spot is also a compelling reason to visit. Plus, the fact they carry Moldovan wine makes a visit more of a total Moldovan experience. Kudos to Artur and Sandra Andronic for opening this restaurant, indicative of their passion for Moldova. I strongly encourage my readers to check out the Moldova Restaurant for lunch or dinner."
The Moldova Restaurant has now started a Kickstarter so they can expand their restaurant, tripling its size. They have a modest goal of $10,000 and have plenty of cool Backer levels, offering lots of tasty rewards, such as a Romantic Dinner for 2 and a Moldovan Cooking Class. Operating a restaurant is a difficult business and support for their expansion is needed, and would lead to an even better restaurant. I like the passion at this restaurant and hope my readers will support this Kickstarter and enjoy the rewards once the Kickstarter meets its goal.