Monday, February 1, 2010

Le Patissier

When I think about getting dessert in Boston, my top pick remains Le Patissier located in the Troquet Restaurant in Boston. For the second year in a row, it was my Favorite Desserterie. Yet it still has not received as much attention as it deserves, and I still do not understand why.

Last week, I stopped by Troquet for dinner, which included a superb rabbit special. Bacon wrapped pieces of tender, moist rabbit with slices of rabbit loin. Just amazingly delicious! The other dishes I had were very good as well, including the short rib canneloni, one of my favorite appetizers. After dinner, I went downstairs to Le Patissier for dessert.

Pastry Chef Sarah Woodfine was behind the counter, ready to prepare her fine desserts. She is very personable, as well as creative and talented. The dessert menu changes frequently, depending upon what is in season. A few items remain on the menu all the time, and there is something that should appeal to everyone, from chocolate lovers to fruit lovers. I had two different desserts, and afterwards I was so stuffed that I could barely move. I would have liked just to crash on a couch.

The Warm Apple Crumble Tarte Tatin ($9.75) has cinnamon ice cream and candied walnut caramel sauce. A compelling blend of flavors and textures that really pleased my palate. But then who doesn't enjoy apple and cinnamon? The light, flaky pastry was very good and it certainly did not seem to be a heavy dessert.

The Marcona Almond and Chocolate Bread Pudding ($10.75) with Bailey’s ice cream and warm chocolate ganache was equally as delicious. The moist bread pudding was smooth and flavorful, as well as devoid of raisins. The rich ice cream had a definite flavor of Baileys, which I like, and complemented the chcolate taste of the bread pudding. The almonds added a crunchy texture as well as a touch of saltiness, which is also a good pairing with chocolate.

Presentation on both dishes was very cool. And I was reminded once again of why I love this place so much. If you have not been there yet, then check it out. If you have been there and loved it, then return and check out a new dessert.

1 comment:

Amanda Maynard said...

So this post sold me. I want to eat there. I'll save my pennies for a special night out.