Friday, February 5, 2016

Boston Wine Expo: The Wines You Should Taste

Next weekend, the Boston Wine Expo is coming to town and you might be planning on attending this huge wine event. If you attend the Grand Tasting, you'll be confronted with over 1800 wines, an overwhelming amount of wine. As you can only sample a tiny fraction of those wines, which should you choose to taste?

Last month, I provided some Advice For Attending The Boston Wine Expo, twenty suggestions for making the most of your expo experience. My first suggestion was to make a plan of which wine regions and/or specific wineries tables you want to visit and taste. Rather than waste your time wandering around the hall, you should have an idea of what you want to taste. I suggested you check the list of participating exhibitors and spend some time deciding on where you want to go.

I'm also going to provide you with my own suggestions for which wines you should check out, partially based on another prior suggestion I gave to my readers: Take this opportunity to expand your palate and try different wines, hoping to find new wines to enjoy. With all the diversity of wines available, it makes little sense to spend your time drinking the same wines you drink at home all the time. Be willing to experiment and taste something different.

This list will include many of the tables where I will also sample wines as I too like to taste new wines, to expand my own vinous horizons. In addition, I may add to this list in the days up to the Expo, as additional exhibitors are added to their website.

Bodegas Hidalgo La Gitana (Table 515)
This is one of the best Sherry bodegas in Spain, and I was fortunate to visit the winery back in 2010. They will be showcasing their delicious La Gitana Manzanilla as well as a number of non-Sherry wines they produce. I haven't previously tasted these non-Sherry wines so am excited to sample them. I expect them to be quality wines based on my experience with their exquisite Sherries.

Portuguese Wines (Tables 261, 263, 265, 360, 362, 364, & 372)
As I've often said, Portugal produces some of the best value wines in the world and if you want inexpensive, but delicious, wines then you need to explore Portugal. Portugal has lots of intriguing, indigenous grapes, making their wines unique in a number of ways. Both their white and red wines are compelling. Portugal also makes fine, higher end wines as well, including amazing Ports. Take some time to explore what Portugal has to offer.

Moldovan Wines (Table 764)
Where is Moldova? You might not know anything about this Eastern European country, which was once part of the Soviet Union, but it has a lengthy history of wine production. They will be showcasing at least five wines, including a Sparkling, two Whites and two Reds, made from indigenous grapes of which you probably never have heard. I haven't had Moldova wines before so I definitely will be checking out this table. I don't know if the wines will be good or not, but I am compelled to explore these new wines.

Greek Wine (Table 720)
Greece is another country with a lengthy history of wine yet not enough consumers know about their fascinating wines. There are plenty of indigenous grapes in Greece, and they make a full gamut of wines, whites, reds, sparkling, dessert and more. I've found plenty of excellent Greek wine at prior Expos and recommend you check out what they have to offer this year.

Georgia Wines (Table 354)
The country not the state. Another country that once was part of the Soviet Union, Georgia might be the birthplace of wine production. It now produces some interesting wines, including some made in a very traditional manner in qvevri, earthenware vessels. I've enjoyed a number of Georgian wines before and continue to seek out new ones too. Why not try something different?

90+ Cellars (Table 437)
A Boston company, 90+ Cellars sources wines from all over the world, offering excellent bargains on a full array of wines. They will have plenty of good wines available for tasting at the Expo. This year,  keep an eye out for the 2012 L'Amis Barbaresco, which I reviewed at an Expo preview event. They also have a few newer wines, including the Magic Door Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa, CA), Magic Door Rosso Toscana IGT (Italy), and the 90+ Cellars Lot 121 Cuvee Royale (Cotes du Rhone, France).

Expand your palate and seek out wines new to you!

No comments: