I am back again with a new edition of Thursday Sips & Nibbles, my regular column where I highlight some interesting, upcoming food & drink events.
1) UPDATE: Unfortunately, the Lolita Tequila Cinco de Mayo Lucha Libre event with Loco Taqueria & Oyster Bar and Lolita Cocina & Tequila Bar has been canceled! Loco Taqueria , opening at noon, will host their own Cinco de Mayo events instead.
2) Chopps American Bar & Grill brings the fiesta to Burlington with a Mexican-inspired menu addition available on May 5 only. The Chile Spiced Skirt Steak Taco ($15) showcases their steakhouse prowess with the mouthwatering festive flavors of fresh Pico de Gallo, avocado and pickled cabbage. Guests can wash it all down with the “Hola from the Other Side,” ($12) a margarita made with Patron Silver Tequila, honey syrup, fresh citrus, and a pinch of sea salt.
To make a Reservation, please call 781-221-6643
3) Hospitality Industry Veteran Mike Paquette has partnered with Frank DePasquale of DePasquale Ventures on the upcoming opening of their first partnership venture, Aqua Pazza in Boston’s historic North End. Aqua Pazza, borrowing its name from an Italian term, “crazy water,” is used to describe a traditional seafood preparation, will bring a taste of the Italian coastline to Boston. The restaurant is slated to open on Thursday, May 4.
Paquette and DePasquale hope Aqua Pazza will serve as an approachable neighborhood eatery that offers guests an authentic menu of both full-sized entrees and small plates for a shareable dining experience. Aqua Pazza Executive Chef Jackson, formerly of Il Casale and Dante, aims to provide guests with flavorful seafood-forward dishes that are light yet comforting. Ranging in size and made for easy sharing, the menu will be divided into five sections: Sfizi, or “tastes” in Italian, Antipastpo/Insalata, Raw Bar, Primi, and Secondi. In addition to the regular menu, Aqua Pazza will also offer a rotating variety of oysters and six daily specials. The restaurant will have a strong focus on crudo, raw bar and ceviche with hints of Italian cuisine, like housemade pastas and panzanella salads.
Menu highlights will include:
-Zucchinata: goat cheese-stuffed, tempura-fried zucchini blossoms served atop zucchini puree with house-made zucchini chips
-Scallop Ceviche: thinly sliced diver scallop, blood orange, sweet potato, and leche de tigre
-Lobster Aqua Pazza: Maine lobster, lobster chitarra, charred vegetables, and “crazy water” broth poured tableside
-Razor Clam Carbonara: bucatini, razor clams, guanciale, and creamy egg
-Delmonico Ribeye: wild mushroom-stuffed Delmonico, potato & cardone gratine, and vincotto
-Daily Whole Fish: served grilled & stuffed or salt-baked
Aqua Pazza will be open for dinner seven days a week from 5 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and from 5 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. on Friday and Saturday.
4) With a beautiful Brunch Menu for adults and delicious treats for the kids, ArtBar looks forward to taking extra special care of Mom this Mother’s Day, May 14, from 11am-3pm. Executive Chef Brian Dandro and Executive Pastry Chef Christina Allen-Flores have created a menu with sparkling Spring dishes.
Mother’s Day Brunch at ArtBar
Spring Pea Soup / crème fraiche, olive oil, mint
Fresh Berry Parfait / Champagne marinated fruit, greek yogurt, house granola
Crab Cake Benedict / jumbo lump crabs, buttermilk biscuit, vine-ripe tomatoes, preserved lemon hollandaise
Lobster “Fra Diavolo” / fresh pasta, peas, Maine lobster
Steak Frites / foie gras butter, parmesan-herb frites, bordelaise sauce
Parisian Gnocchi / duck confit, sage, parmesan cheese
Crispy Skin Salmon / parsnip-butternut squash puree, asparagus
Banana Bread French Toast / glazed pecans, bruleed bananas, Vermont maple
Chocolate Marquise Cake / cherry sauce
Mango Sorbet /citrus fruit compote
And the kids will be happy too! The Children’s Menu includes such favorites as Chicken Tenders, Pancakes, Brioche French Toast, Ice Cream Sundaes and more!!
Cost: Adults $50, Children $19
To make Reservations, please call 617-806-4200
5) Chef/Owner Michael Schlow, Chef de Cuisine Brendan Pelley, and the Doretta Taverna team invite guests to join them for an upcoming wine dinner featuring off-menu spring dishes and Greek wines. On Monday, May 8, at 7pm, Doretta Taverna will be hosting a special, five-course wine dinner featuring off-menu spring dishes from Chef Brendan Pelley and Greek wine pairings.
Although subject to change, anticipated food courses include:
Wild Salmon Krio, ladolemono, smoked strawberries, pistachio, shiso
Horta Pie, nettles, dandelion, wild garlic, feta
Softshell Crab Gyro, house pita, spruce mayonnaise, ramp kimchi
North Star Sheep Farm Lamb, 3 ways, seasonal garnish
Cardamom & Black Pepper Rizogalo, rhubarb spoon sweets, fig brulee
Tickets are $85 plus tax and gratuity and can be reserved by calling (617) 422-0008
6) Chef/Owner Michael Schlow, Chef de Cuisine Brendan Pelley, the Doretta Taverna team, and special guest bartender Kennedy Elsey from Mix 104.1 invite guests to join them at Doretta’s bar on May 18th for its next installment of its “Doretta Donates” Celebrity Bartending Series.
From 6 to 9 p.m., Kennedy will sling cocktails, chat with guests, and even concoct her own signature drink to be featured for the evening. 10% of all proceeds from the evening’s bar sales will be donated to Great Dog Rescue.
Future celebrity bartending evenings include:
5/25: Josh Zakim benefiting Lenny Zakim Fund
6/1: Tonya Mezrich benefiting Seed Global Health
6/8: Sue Brady benefiting The Red Sox Foundation
6/15: Laura Baldini benefiting Animal Recovery Mission
6/22: Miss Massachusetts: Julia Scaparotti benefiting Miss Pink
6/29: Brian Malone benefiting Arredondo Family Foundation
For reservations, please call (617) 422-0008.
7) Chef de Cuisine Alex Saenz and the BISq team invite guests to join them on Sunday, May 7, from Noon to 5pm (or until supplies last) for a seafood-centric pop-up with Island Creek Oysters. Island Creek Oysters will be in-house shucking fresh oysters while Chef Alex Saenz will be serving a variety of ceviches, tiraditos and crudos. To complement the “surf” options with a “turf” one, Chef Alex Saenz will also be offering his famous fried chicken. Guests can wash it all down with BISq’s selection of rosé wines and beers.
Space is limited and reservations are recommended. To make reservations, please call (617) 714-3693.
8) Chef/owner Keith Pooler and the Bergamot team invite guests to join them every Wednesday night, from 5:30pm-10pm, for Pasta Prix Fixe Wednesdays. Bergamot will now be offering guests a special “Pasta Prix Fixe” every Wednesday night. Available for dinner in addition to its regularly available menu, Pasta Prix Fixe Wednesdays will feature a three-course meal for only $30 per person.
To make reservations, please call 617-576-7700