Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Minus 5 Ice Lounge: Las Vegas

Contrary to the photo, Minus 5 Ice Lounge is not a penguin haven, though they might enjoy it. It is actually a Vegas lounge where everything is made of ice, from the furniture to the scupltures, and even including the glasses. It received its name as the lounge is supposed to be maintained at a temperature of minus five degrees Celsius (twenty-three degrees Fahrenheit). The concept for this lounge originated in New Zealand, and the Las Vegas outpost opened in September 2008.

The idea intrigued me so I knew I had to check it out when I visited Vegas. It is open during the day as well as the evening, though obviously it is much quieter than the day. It costs $15 to enter the ice lounge, and you are provided the use of an insulated coat, gloves and boots. For $25, you also receive an ice cocktail, from a list of about 8-10 choices. You can purchase a few other extra items as well, such as a fur coat. You are only permitted though to spend 30 minutes within the lounge, supposedly because of the low temperature.

The lounge itself is actually a small room though intriguing with all of the ice items. There are several ice benches, each covered by thin deerskin, and a few ice scupltures, including one of Elvis. The scupltures change on a constant basis, and the furniture also must be replaced regularly. The room did not really feel too cold. I had shorts on and my legs felt fine, plus I could not see my breath when I exhaled.

The cocktails come in a glass made completely of ice. You really need to hold the cup with two hands or the chance of dropping it is high, as it is a bit slippery. The cocktails are primarily mixed vodka drinks, and tasted ok, though nothing special. You can order other drinks, or just vodka shots. But you are limited to three drinks during any 30 minute period. Interestingly, the ice glasses are transported, in shipments of 20,000, from New Zealand! Is no one in the U.S. capable of making such glasses?

You cannot bring your own camera into the lounge. Instead, they have a photographer inside who takes a few photos of you, which are available for purchase once you leave the lounge. Yes, another way for the lounge to make money though at least when you buy the photo, you also receive a digital copy.

It was an interesting experience and I had fun, though I doubt it will become a regular stop for me, especially considering the 30 minute time limit. Plus, as it is small, it could become very crowded if it were busy. Stop by if you want to try something different, just don't plan on spending a long time there.

Minus 5 Ice Lounge
Mandalay Bay
3950 Las Vegas Blvd S
Las Vegas, NV
Phone: (702) 632-7714

Minus 5 Ice Lounge on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

Las Vegas Hotels said...

Nice place! I'm coming soon to Las Vegas on 2 weeks vacation. I like penguins and I would like to come visit your "Minus 5 Ice Lounge" :) I'm happy that I read your post, my kids will be very excited to watch penguin Haven! Thanks for the post;)

Unknown said...

Vegas is really an awesome place. It's really worth a trip to be in the city. Thanks for the share. Keep it up!

Audree

Las Vegas Hotel Vacation Packages

Unknown said...

I like penguins and I would like to come visit your hotel on las vegas "Minus 5 Ice Lounge" :) I'm happy that I read your post, my kids will be very excited to watch penguin Haven!