I am back again with a new edition of Thursday Sips & Nibbles, my regular column where I briefly highlight some interesting wine and food items that I have encountered recently.
1) On June 6th, Legal Sea Foods will welcome Olivier Humbrecht, Master of Wine, owner and winemaker for Domaine Zind-Humbrecht, to their Park Square Wine Cellar. Domaine Zind-Humbrecht wines hail from the Alsace region of northeast France encompassing concentrated, fruity-styles with low yield and biodynamic viticulture. At this dinner, guests will enjoy a five-course meal complemented by Olivier Humbrecht’s selections from the vineyard.
Jumbo Lump Crab Tartelette
Shrimp Queso Fundido
King Crab Tempura with Wasabi Crème Fraîche
Domaine Zind-Humbrecht Pinot d’Alsace, 2008
Smoked Wild King Salmon Tartare (fried capers, dill aïoli, dark rye)
Domaine Zind-Humbrecht “Gueberschwihr” Riesling, 2007
Domaine Zind-Humbrecht “Clos Hauserer” Riesling, 2006
Grilled Rainbow Trout and Juniper-Scented “Choucroute Garnie” (bacon wrapped potatoes and whole grain mustard)
Domaine Zind-Humbrecht “Brand” Grand Cru Riesling, 2007
Hickory Wood Grilled Duck Breast (mango curry chutney, english sweet peas, fava bean ragoût)
Domaine Zind-Humbrecht Rangen de Thann “Clos St Urbain” Gewurztraminer, 2008
Pear Rhubarb Napoleon (cinnamon puff pastry, vanilla ice cream)
Domaine Zind-Humbrecht “Vieilles Vignes” Pinot Gris, 2008
WHEN: Monday, June 6th at 6:30pm
COST: $85 per person (excludes tax and gratuity)
Reservation required by calling: 617-530-9397.
I'll be at this dinner so I hope to see you there.
2) The Reserve Bin, a specialty wine and craft beer shop will be celebrating its One-Year Anniversary on June 10. The Reserve Bin has one of the largest selections of local wine in the state. In honor of all the customers who have dedicated to shopping locally, The Reserve Bin will be hosting an all local wine tasting featuring numerous wines produced throughout New England. The event will take place on Friday, June 10, at 5:00pm.
Owner Kristin Braga states: "Buying local wine and supporting small businesses has had a resurgence in the south shore. It is important to support local area businesses and showcase their great products. The wines from New England often are underappreciated and with help from The Reserve Bin, many area residents have been able to have access to and enjoy local wine. This event is a way to get acquainted with local varietals, along with the individuals dedicated to crafting them."
There will be also special giveaways that will be offered to attendees sponsored by the local vintners:
• A private group tasting and tour for 10 people at Travessia Urban Winery in New Bedford, MA hosted by owner and winemaker Marco Montez.
• Two bottles of local mead produced by Isaaks of Salem in Salem, MA.
• Two stemless glasses and locally made jam from Plymouth Winery.
• A private group tasting for 10 people at Truro Vineyards hosted by owner Dave Roberts in North Truro, MA.
• A private wine tasting for 2 at Westport Rivers Vineyards in Westport, MA.
• Two tickets to the Jonathan Edwards Summer Concert series at Jonathan Edwards Winery in North Stonington, CT.
This should be an exciting event, and I agree people should get to know local wineries better. You can read my prior review of The Reserve Bin, a place I highly recommend to wine lovers.
3) AKA Bistro and the Clark Gallery are collaborating to develop an outdoor sculpture park on the green surrounding the bistro’s seasonal outdoor terrace. This month, a second, 8-foot tall granite artwork was installed. The two-ton Voluta is made of glacial boulders harvested from around artist Gary Haven Smith’s New Hampshire home. The two sculptures on Lincoln Road, with an expanse of grass between them, make a contemplative and engaging outdoor venue for enjoying the bistro’s creative menu of French and Japanese fare. Future art installations for the green are being readied.
In addition, beginning in mid-June and continuing through October, the green will be the site of the Lincoln Farmer’s Market, every Saturday from 9am-1pm.
4) On June 14th, at 6:30pm, Legal Sea Foods will honor dads a bit early with a Legal Holiday: Father’s Day. Legal Sea Foods will celebrate in Park Square’s wine cellar with a trio of offerings including the following:
Chilled Calamari Salad With Citrus, Cherry & Banana Peppers, Crispy Tortilla Cup
Paired with Victory Prima Pils
Barbacoa Tortas With Queso Fresco, Avocado, Pickled Red Onion, Cilantro, Smoked Tomato Salsa
Paired with Allagash White Ale
Strawberry Bread Pudding With Colombian Dark Chocolate, Fresh Berries
Paired with Lindemans Framboise Lambic
COST: $35 per session (includes tax & gratuity)
Reservations required by calling: 617-530-9392 or make them online.
5) This week, Downtown Crossing will welcome its newest dining destination: 49 Social. With a refined seasonal American menu executed by Michael Lishchynsky and an inventive craft cocktail and wine program managed by Kim Frankson, 49 Social will offer guests "the comfort of an inviting social setting in a lively yet sophisticated, sleek-meets-vintage atmosphere."
Executive Chef Michael Lishchynsky has spent time in the kitchens of the Four Seasons Hotel in Boston and David Burke Townhouse in New York City. Boasting a menu of moderately priced refined American cuisine, 49 Social will offer a lunch, dinner and bar menu.
Highlights from the upcoming lunch menu include: Caprese Salad (house-made mozzarella sphere, baby arugula, tomato, prosciutto vinaigrette - $13); raised Rabbit Croque Madame (ricotta herb spread, mornay sauce, gruyere, topped with fried egg, served with spring greens - $15); Seared Salmon (chickpea panisse, pipérade, harissa, blood orange emulsion - $19); and, Duo of Chicken (crispy breast, confit of thigh and leg, collard greens, truffle mac and cheese - $17). In addition, Chef Lishchynsky will offer guests a selection of six gourmet flatbreads on the lunch and bar menus, including: White Clam (Wellfleet clams, garlic, Italian parsley, shaved fennel, fennel oil - $13); and, Truffle (wild mushrooms, truffle, baby arugula - $14).
For dinner, guests will enjoy options such as: Duo of Beef (tea smoked ribeye, Korean-style beef tartare, jasmine tea cracker - $16); Tuna Sashimi (broken garlic chili vinaigrette, radish salad, soy pearls - $17); Seared Sea Scallops (red lentils, napa cabbage, pickled daikon salad, curried blood orange emulsion - $24); and, Berkshire Pork Tenderloin Roulade (wild boar sausage, pancetta and spring pea risotto, pork jus - $27).
From the afternoon and late night bar menu, signature items include: Fried Oyster Po’ Boy Sliders (celery root slaw, bibb lettuce, tomato, Old Bay aioli - $12); Tempura Garden (asparagus, shitaki mushrooms, fiddleheads, baby bok choy, miso broth - $10); and, the House Burger (sharp cheddar, crispy leeks, bibb lettuce, tomato, truffle aioli, rosemary garlic pommes frites - $17) which will also be offered during lunch and dinner service.
Managing the 49 Social beverage program is Kim Frankson (formerly of Radius). 49 Social has a full liquor license and will feature a variety of specialty cocktails in addition to its extensive wine list. Highlights from the cocktail list include: Amor (gin and Lillet with splashes of rose water and lemon juice, finished with a fresh strawberry); Sugar & Spice (tequila, tagarshi, agave nectar, lime and orange juices, kumquats); and, Field of Dreams (Reyka, organic citron liqueur, tarragon and grapefruit juice). 49 Social will also produce homemade infusions, such as rosemary gin and lavender-rhubarb syrup. The beverage program will also feature 28 bottles of wine for $28 and an additional 50 bottles ranging from $30-$100. The wine list will be complemented by a select variety of reserve bottles to accommodate all tastes.
49 Social will open at 49 Temple Place in Boston’s Downtown Crossing neighborhood in the space formerly inhabited by Ivy Restaurant. 49 Social will be open Tuesday through Sunday for lunch and dinner. The lunch menu will be available in upcoming weeks from 11:30am through 2:30pm. Dinner will be served from 5:00pm through 10:00pm. A bar menu will also be available from 2:30pm through 12:30am.