Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Passionate Foodie's Fifth Anniversary & Contest

This month, and specifically May 9, is the Fifth Anniversary of The Passionate Foodie blog. Five years! Many blogs never make it that far and I have seen numerous food and wine blogs come and go during that time. Overall though, there has been growth in the amount of local wine and food blogs, which now number over 500, most which did not exist when I first began to write my blog.

My longevity is possible because I still love what I do, I still have a passion for writing, for sharing my experiences with others. It is not an easy task, requiring discipline, effort and plenty of time. Not everyone who has a passion for food and wine can maintain such discipline and effort over the long term. I find it all fulfilling and satisfying, and hope to continue my blog for many more years to come, believing that my passion will never dim.

These last five years have been wonderful and I have learned much about food, wine, sake and spirits yet there is still great room for growth, so much more to learn and explore. That is one of the greatest joys of this field, that there is always something new to experience and learn. And it pleases me to share my new found knowledge with my readers.

For over two years, what once was merely a hobby has now become my profession. I am a freelance writer and educator, though that is a far from easy endeavor. I also work part time at a local wine store, Beacon Hill Wine & Gourmet, gathering additional experience, and a different viewpoint on the wine trade. In addition, I have self-published my first short story, Yurine's Pot, as an ebook on Amazon. It is a Sake related tale, exploring an ancient Japanese legend in a modern setting. Currently, I am writing a sequel to that short story, with the tentative title of A Murderous Tea Kettle.

To make this a profession you need to be flexible, versatile and creative, always seeking new opportunities. Making money is certainly not easy but if you persevere, you can find ways to do it. You'll probably never get wealthy, but you might be very happy, and that is what is most important in life.

I want to give thanks to all of my readers, and hope they continue to provide me their input, questions and comments. I want to thank all of my family and friends, who have been so supportive for all these years. I am very appreciative as well to all of the new friends I have met through the food and wine community, from fellow bloggers to chefs, from wine store owners to wine makers. Food, wine, sake and spirits are always much better when shared.

To commemorate my Fifth Anniversary, I am holding an Anniversary Contest, a way to reward all my readers. I am going to make it very easy too, all you have to do to enter is leave me a comment here or send me an email to ubarluther@aol.com. You can only enter the Contest once and it will end on May 9 at midnight. Then, the winning entries will be selected by a random number generator.

Ten winning entries will receive a free copy of my short story ebook, Yurine's Potas well as a copy of its sequel, once it is published.

The Grand Prize winner will also receive a copy of Yurine's Pot and its sequel. In addition, they have their choice between two different prizes:
1)  Lunch or Dinner with me at Moksa in Cambridge (Asian small plates & Sake). And you will even learn plenty about Sake during our meal.
Or,
2)  A $50 Amazon Gift Card so you can purchase food & wine books.

Good luck all, and go forth and drink and dine with passion!

5/10/12: The Winners Are Announced
Here are the ten winning entries, who will receive a free copy of my short story ebook, Yurine's Potas well as a copy of its sequel, once it is published.
--Anthony
--Bianca
--Todd
--Betsy
--Erica
--Bastard Books
--Martha
--Dennis
--Steve
--Corey

And the Grand Prize Winner is.....
--Alexis Karlin
All winner should send me their email address so I can send them their prizes.

20 comments:

Anthony Ambrosini said...

Congratulations, Richard. I have enjoyed your work, but in particular I have learned a lot about sparkling wine, sherry, and sake from you. Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

This post is very interesting and it also helpful for us. liking stuff like this blog as well as this has now given me Some inspiration To succeed, ever so Appreciate it.
Continue Reading.....

Dale Cruse said...

Happy anniversary, Rich.

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

Congratulations, Richard! It is always a pleasure to read your well-written and informative blog posts, and I am very glad to meet you in person last year. Cheers to more years of blogging!

Unknown said...

Congrats - Hands down one of my favorite blogs!

Unknown said...

Congrats on another year. Keep it up!

Todd - VT Wine Media said...

Cheers Rich!
Keep it up man, you are an inspiration. I want to share a meal with you at Moska no mater how the contest pans out!

devijohnson said...

Congrats and may many more be blessed to you in the future. Thank your for showing me the many things wine has to offer and the great taste. Your blog inspires me.

Anonymous said...

Silverware is the modern anniversary gift, so hopefully a decadent dinner is part of your celebration plans. Congrats.

1winedude said...

Congrats! Can I have dinner with you even if I don't win? ;-)

Wendy Wagner; said...

Five years? That's terrific! I'm a new reader, but I must say that your posts and tweets are incredibly inspiring.

Congratulations!

Welcome to Random Babblings & Stuff ! said...

Can't believe you have been doing this for 5 years. And to think I only met you about a year ago. Love reading your tips, suggestions, and even rants. Hope your enjoying the Derby!
~ Alexis Karlin

The Boston Foodie said...

Congratulations Richard! Hard to believe it's been five years. I can remember then that there were just a handful of food bloggers in Boston and I'm proud that your blog is a few weeks older than mine. You will always be Boston's sake expert and my go-to guy for wine knowledge.

Jason Phelps said...

Congrats on making 5 years! I looked back at my first cellar update on my blog from 2008 and remember not knowing why I was doing it or what might come of it. Meeting folks like yourself that are making it work more everyday keeps me pushing on.

Jason

Sake Kuma said...

Congrats! May the passion continue.

Betsy said...

Congrats on 5 years, amazing!

Erica said...

Congrats! I'm a new reader!

Kate said...

Congrats Passionate Foodie! Looking forward to the next 5 years of great blogging.

Bastard said...

Congrats Richard, here's to 5 more years of learning how to get drunk with style, while eating good food.

Felix Stendahl said...

I have to spell this out –C.O.N.G.R.A.T.U.L.A.T.I.O.N.S, Richard! A whopping 5 years here in blogosphere is truly a success. Conducting an online contest for your avid readers is a great idea. It’s a way of returning the favor to them by being a follower. Sure enough, you will have more anniversaries to celebrate. Keep posting!