I am back again with a new edition of Thursday Sips & Nibbles, my regular column where I briefly highlight some interesting wine and food items that I have encountered recently.
1) Boston Nightlife Ventures announces that Griddler’s Burgers & Dogs is teaming up with Union Square Donuts to launch the first ever ‘Bronut’.
This donut-burger ($6) will combine a Griddler’s burger patty finished with a sizzling fried egg on top, inside a sweet, yet salty maple bacon glazed Union Square donut “bun”. The ‘Bronut’ will be offered only at Griddler’s with limited availability – beginning Saturday, July 6, it will be available Saturdays and Sunday only, from 11am-11pm, while supplies last.
I am not a fan of the name "bronuts" but the idea of a burger/donut combo is interesting.
2) This year, La Fête Nationale, the national celebration, is going international once again at The Beehive. On Sunday, July 14, in partnership with the French Government, the Consulate General of France in Boston, the restaurant will commemorate the storming of the Bastille with dinner, libations and a French flair of live Bastille street music. The doors will open at 5pm with inspired cocktails and flowing champagne from Domaine Chandon and Champagne Moet & Chandon. Dinner service will begin at 5:30pm and continues until 12am.
The event will heat up with a live special guest performance at 8pm when Lamine Toure will take the stage and fill the The Beehive with a French tribute to world music.
Lamine Toure comes from a long line of musicians from Senegal and has been drumming since the young age of 4. Toure will be bringing his expert percussionist skills to The Beehive and will entertain the audience with a fusion of sounds combining Sengegalese mbalax with elements of jazz, funk, reggae and Afrobeat.
In addition to the regular menu, The Beehive will be serving Bastille Day specials including Frisèe aux Lardons Salade with Goat Cheese Crouton ($14), Skirt Steak Frites, Béarnaise sauce ($27) and Steak Tartare Frites ($26).
This event is 21+ and a cash bar will be open until 1am. For more information, or to make dinner reservation, please call 617-423-0069.
3) Mâitre d' hotel and Fromager Louis Risoli and Wine Director & Sommelier Lauren Collins present Salon Sessions, held at L’Espalier each month.
Louis Risoli has defined the role of Grand Fromager across the east coast, as he was one of the first to bring this unique culinary practice to a restaurant setting. His passion for cheese is unparalleled and is the driving force behind the Grand Fromage at L’Espalier since 1988.
Lauren Collins, Wine Director & Sommelier at L'Espalier, joined the team in 2012 and is a certified Advanced Sommelier through the Court of Master Sommeliers. Lauren is one of five people in Boston to obtain this esteemed certification.
L’Espalier presents Salon Sessions—an intimate yet educational wine and cheese pairing. Join experts Louis Risoli and Lauren Collins, as they share their knowledge on pairing cheese with wine and beer. Cheeses are selected from L’Espalier’s award winning cheese cart and the sessions are held in the L’Espalier salon which overlooks Boylston Street. The July Salon Session, on July 11, at 6pm, focuses on the classic pairing of Italian Cheese & Wine. The cheese selections will feature:
Caciocavallo, a spicy and bold ubiquitous cheese of the south that is gourd shaped and dense with a bit of elasticity.
Pecorino Toscano, a classic sheep’s milk cheese that is well aged, dense and slightly crumbly with flavors of butter and sweet/sour undercurrents.
Robiola del Rocca, a creamy soft cheese made from cow, sheep and goat’s milk.
Taleggio, often called Italy’s most elegant cheese, has a supple meaty texture and rich summery flavors.
Reservations are required. Event pricing is $55 per person. For additional information and to reserve space, please call L’Espalier at 617-262-3023
4) L’Espalier’s Tea Sommelier Cynthia Gold with special guest Ron Mutai of the Kenya Tea Development Authority, presents the latest Sunday Tea Tasting featuring the Teas of Kenya.
From poaching and picking to brining and smoking, Cynthia is an expert using numerous techniques to combine flavors of teas and food to create appetizers, salads, main courses, and desserts. She has created a unique line of L’Espalier signature teas as well as a full line of tea cocktails.
Ronald Mutai, Founder of Majani Teas, is a Kenyan native and expert in Kenyan teas. Growing up on a tea farm in Kenya, Mutai has a deep appreciation for the smooth, non-bitter flavor Kenyan teas embody.
Every Sunday, L’Espalier hosts a special Sunday Tea Tasting which highlights five teas around a specific theme. The theme is selected by Tea Sommelier, Cynthia Gold, and each are served and discussed along with a selection of tea sandwiches, pastries and petit fours. The menu includes dishes inspired by the theme and dishes cooked with the teas being served. The latest installment, on Sunday, July 21, 2pm, will be featuring the Teas of Kenya.
Tickets are $50 per person
For reservations or more information please call (617) 262-3023.
5) Chef Jason Santos is mixing things up in the Financial District on Sunday, July 14, from 11am-3pm, with the return of Superhero Brunch at Blue Inc. Superhero Brunch features a superhero inspired soundtrack, superhero adornments, and a staff dressed head-to-toe in superhero fashions, and a menu full of dishes with the ultimate superhero aptitude.
The menu will feature four brunch appetizers and ten brunch entrées, all priced under $15. Guests can choose to be the hero by choosing from the ‘The Good Guys’ menu (a menu that offers lighter options such as scrambled eggs and smoked salmon pizza) or the villain by choosing a dish from the ‘Villains’ menu (a menu that offers more indulgent options such as peanut butter pancakes and a crispy fried chicken sandwich), along with a choice of their very own ‘Sidekick’ of toast, hash browns, two eggs, fruit, bacon, and/or sausage to complete their perfect superhero or villain duo. Guests may also choose from a choice of espresso, cappuccino, an organic pot of loose leaf MEM tea or, a bottomless pot of coffee to pair with their superhuman meal.
Superhero Brunch is being offered at Blue Inc. for one day only, July 14.