Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Posto: A Davis Square Favorite

I recently found myself in Davis Square, wanting to catch a bite to eat before an event I was attending. I chose to dine at Posto, which is on my list of the Top 50 Restaurants of 2015 and has been one of my favorites since it first opened. It has consistently been a compelling spot for Italian cuisine, including pizza, and my most recent experience wasn't any different. Everything was delicious, service was excellent, and I'm sure it will make my Top 50 Restaurant list for 2016.

I just wanted to give a quick review of my experience, to bring more attention to the worthy Posto. You can also search for my prior reviews of Posto, if you so desire,

I like to start my meal with their Pane ($2.50), a piping hot, soft bread with rosemary and sea salt. Though you can have this bread with some oil, it is also a good way to sop up the sauces of your other dishes.

The Arancini ($11) consists of five balls of crispy arborio rice with lemon & oregano, in a spicy sweet & sour tomato sauce. A crisp coating covers the tender rice within, all enhanced by the flavorful sauce (which I also sopped up with the bread). A nice appetizer to start your meal.

Their Neapolitan Wood Fired Pizza is one of the best in the region, and I chose their Meatball ($17), with beef, pork & veal, topped by mozzarella, oregano and garlic. It is a hearty-sized pizza, loaded with toppings including ample, thin slices of garlic. The thin, slightly charred crust was delicious, both soft and crisp, and the meatballs were moist and flavorful. And I loved all of the garlic atop the pizza. With the chillier temperatures of the season, this would be a perfect comfort food, filling your belly and warming your soul.

Chef Joe Carli sent me a sample of his Daily Pasta Special, Hand Rolled Garganelli with locally foraged Matsutake mushrooms, guanciale and a parsnip purée. The pasta had a great texture, cooked just right to give it some bite, and the earthy mushrooms enhanced the dish. I've always like their pasta dishes, and this wasn't an exception.

If you find yourself near Somerville, then consider dining at Posto, or even consider making a special trip to eat there. The food, from the pasta to the pizza, won't disappoint! And you will understand why it is one of my favorite restaurants.

No comments: