Tuesday, September 11, 2007

NV Jost Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Marechal Foch


When I visit Nova Scotia, I usually bring back some Canadian wine. I have previously visited several wineries in Nova Scotia. Last evening, I opened a wine I had picked up a couple years ago.

It was the NV Jost Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Marechal Foch ($9). Jost Vineyards, which became a licensed winery in 1983, makes red, white, rose, fruit, and specialty wines. Their specialty wines include icewine, maple wines, raspberry wine and blueberry wine.

Marechal Foch is a French-American hybrid. It was developed in Alsace by grape hybridizer, Eugene Kuhlmann. There is still a question though as to which grapes were used to make the hybrid. It may be a cross between a North American riparia-rupestris and a vinifera, Goldriesling. Others feel the North American grape is Oberlin Noir, a Gamay-riparia cross. The varietal was named after the French marshal Ferdinand Foch, who played a significant role in armistice negotiations in World War I.

Marechal Foch is an early-ripening grape and is hardy enough to endure cold-climates. Thus, it is popular in parts of Canada. Though some of the northern U.S. states also grow it. Some feel the grape is similar in tastes to Burgundy Pinot Noirs. I have had some single varietal Marechal Fochs and enjoyed them.

The NV Jost Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Marechal Foch has a medium-red color and a dark cherry nose. It is a mild wine with very soft tannins. It has some interesting dark berry and cherry flavors with a short finish. It certainly does not remind me of most Cabernets. It reminds me instead more of an inexpensive Pinot. It does have some character, especially for a wine that is so inexpensive. I did like this wine and it went well with pizza.

This is definitely an every day wine, easy drinking and with some character. A Drink & Buy.

No comments: