Monday, February 28, 2022

Rant: Chicken & Mayo Problem

During the last several days, I was away at a local conference and the available time for dinner between sessions was limited. The main hotel restaurant wasn't an option, due to a series of prior issues at that location. So, delivery was one of the prime options, and there were a multitude of choices. 

One evening, I opted for a new spot, a ghost kitchen which served a Japanese-style fried chicken. The idea intrigued me. I decided to order several pieces of chicken and a side. When you ordered online, you were provided several options for your chicken, and I chose to omit the mayo, which is usually drizzled all atop the chicken. I don't have any allergies to mayo but I dislike the taste. So far, everything seems fine.

Well, first the delivery got delayed, and it took at least 90 minutes to arrive, despite my location being only about 5 minutes from the kitchen. That really used up much of the available time I had for dinner, so I would have had to rush my food but I could have accepted it, if the food arrived hot. And it did arrive hot, except that there was mayo on my chicken! My request had been ignored. 

Now, I could have painstakingly tried to scrape off all of the mayo but that would have been laborious, and would not have removed all of the mayo unless I removed some of the crispy coating too. Scraping mayo off a piece of crispy fried chicken is no easy task. Removing the crispy coating wasn't an option either as that is one of the main reasons for ordering fried chicken. To me, the food was ruined, and I was extremely disappointed that my online request had been ignored.

What could I do to remedy the situation? I didn't have time to contact the restaurant and ask for another order to be sent to me. I had a session I needed to attend, and couldn't eat during the session. I'll probably send a metaled email to the restaurant about my experience, but as I won't be in that area again for some time, there is little that could be done. It will just be an unpleasant experience that might prevent me from ordering food from there ever again. Those who did eat the chicken liked it, but I can't offer my own opinion. 

Damn you, mayo!

No comments: