Monday, August 23, 2010

The Wine Bunker: Opening in October

Last month, I mentioned that a new, discount wine store, The Wine Bunker, was coming to Reading. I now have some additional information I wanted to share with my readers.

I stopped by Corporate Wines in Woburn to ask about the new store, and they were able to share some information about their plans. I should note that Corporate Wines seems to have lots of empty spaces in their wine racks, and some wines are spread out over the facings so that the number of different brands of wine is much less than you might think. Maybe they are currently devoting more attention to the new store.

The Wine Bunker will be located at 128 Marketplace Shopping Center, One General Way, near the Market Basket. It is scheduled to open in October and will only sell wine, and no beer or spirits. They are partially modeled after Rapid Liquors in Stoneham, a wine store I often recommend to people because of their very low prices. Thus, the Wine Bunker wants to offer wines at prices competitive with Rapid, but they will try not to carry the same wines as Rapid carries.

They will offer a case discount, maybe 20%, but that is still tentative. That will be a difference from Rapid, as they do not offer a case discount. They will carry wines at all price points, including some high-end wines. Their selection should have 1000+ wines, including a fair share of Washington and Oregon wines, which they consider to be excellent value wines. There will be weekly tastings, though they might also always have an open bottle available for tasting.

I will be sure to check out the Wine Bunker when it opens, and I will report back my thoughts.

1 comment:

sherry wine said...

Sherry is an Oloroso sweetened with rich Pedro Ximenez grapes. Its color is dark or very dark mahogany. Its aroma is round, crisp and velvety. An ideal dessert sherry. Thanks