Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Việt Citron: A Follow-Up & Seasonal Specialties

Last month, I reviewed Việt Citron, a new Vietnamese restaurant in Burlington. I previously stated, "Overall, it's an impressive restaurant with very fresh and delicious Vietnamese food, and I highly recommend it." Since that time, I've been dining there regularly, generally at least once a week, and sometimes more. During that time, I've tasted some of their seasonal specialities, and ordered one of their Pound/Bulk Order products. So, I felt an update was warranted, especially considering this is a new restaurant, worthy of attention.


As I was going to a grilling party at a friend's home, I decided to bring some Pork Belly rather than the typical hamburgers, hot dogs, and steak tips. At Việt Citron, they have a menu of Pound/Bulk Order products, items you can take to parties and large feasts. I decided to order a pound of their Salt Roasted Crispy Pork Belly ($16.95). Their pork belly is delicious, with a delightful crunchy coating and silky tender meat and fat. I'd previously enjoyed the pork belly in their Bahn Mi, and this was no different. My friends eagerly devoured the pork belly, quickly emptying the dish, and it definitely was a huge hit. You just have to provide 24 hours notice when you order the Pork Belly, and then you can enjoy it at home in any manner you choose.

One of their seasonal specials is the Viet Grilled Corn ($5.75), which is smothered with a scallion jalapeno butter and topped with scallion oil. Who doesn't love grilled corn in the summer? And the addition of the scallion jalapeno butter adds a mildly spicy kick which enhances the sweet, slightly charred, corn. It makes for a nice side to your lunch or dinner. 

One of their most recent seasonal speciality was the Chili Lemongrass Pork Ribs ($15.00), listed as “Succulent grilled pork back ribs marinated w/ chilies and lemongrass.” I've had these ribs twice and both times they were tender and meaty, with a delightful spicy dry rub and a slight bit of heat. Frankly, they are some of the best ribs I've tasted in awhile. They are served atop rice and served with some fresh veggies. It's a hearty and delicious dish which I strongly recommend. It may not be on the menu for a few weeks, but will return again sometime in September.

Another seasonal speciality, and one of their few dessert options, was the Chuối Xiêm Nướng (Grilled Thai Bananas drizzled with Coconut Milk). The Thai bananas are only sweet for a short time period so this special came and went quickly, and it's missed. The sweet, tender grilled bananas were enhanced by the sweet and creamy coconut milk, although it wasn't overly sweet, and the texture was accented with crushed nuts. 

Tran Lee, one of the owners, has mentioned that many of these dishes were items she enjoyed as a child in Vietnam, and that connection makes the food even better. I also like the seasonal aspect of their menu, as well as that they are using fresh ingredients to create special and delicious items. Regular customers can often find something different on the menu that they can enjoy. My continued visits to Việt Citron have solidified my respect for this restaurant and I highly recommend everyone check it out.

No comments: