Monday, November 19, 2007

2004 Pulmary Familias Viticultoras Donaria Bonarda

I am a fan of the Bonarda grape, especially the wines made from it in Argentina. Though it is also grown in Italy, I have had only a few Bonards from there and generally I have not been as impressed as those from Argentina. You can read some of my prior reviews of Argentina Bonardas.

Last evening, I opened a bottle of 2004 Pulmary Familias Viticultoras Donaria Bonarda ($20) that I got at the Wine Cellars of Silene in Waltham. I note that the winery website is currently under renovation.

This Bonarda is an Organic wine, unfiltered and with a 13.5% alcohol content. It is a dark purple wine with a fruity nose, especially a blueberry smell. And it is blueberries that I taste most prominently on my palate as well. There is also a bit of spice and plum on the medium length finish. There are some mild tannins and the wine is well balanced.

I drank this wine with some four-cheese tortellini & chicken breast topped by a walnut pesto sauce. It did go well and did not overpower the food. The pesto spices seemed to pair well with the fruit and spice of the wine.

I did enjoy this wine and would recommend it as a Drink & Buy. Interestingly enough, Wine Spectator only awarded this wine 76 points. For some people, this rating would cause them not to buy this wine. But I do recommend that you give it a chance!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know this winery personally and i think that their low score is due directly that they are not a snob winery, their bottle are inexpensive because the wine maker believes that good wine is for everyone and not just the elite who can afford it. this fundamental belief has plagued their scores, but i believe that everyone of their bottles has been grossly underscored, i recommend that anyone try them and make their own distinctions.