Monday, August 16, 2021

Rant: Saving Local Farmers

Waygu beef, Mangalitsa pork, Quail. 

The pandemic has significantly hurt so many industries, including the U.S. farmer. The USDA published an article last month, America’s Farmers: Resilient Throughout the COVID Pandemic, which detailed some of the problems American farmers have faced in recent years, as well as during the pandemic. 

The article stated, "The COVID-19 pandemic not only triggered a new type of crisis for the farming sector, it also came at a tough time for U.S. farmers. For the past few years, global commodity production has outpaced demand in most years and prices have been falling." So, the farming industry was suffering from numerous problems before the pandemic, which then exacerbated all of those serious issues.

The article continued, "In addition, the immediate and drastic decline in food demand by restaurants and hotel customers isolated farmers and food processors from some of their biggest buyers, especially for meat, dairy, and specialty crops."As we all know, food prices have risen significantly, however, farmers haven't been receiving the additional monies, and actually have been receiving less. "In general, U.S. food prices have risen since January while prices received by U.S. producers have fallen." How can U.S. farmers survive?

The question that I've been pondering lately is: How do we help these farmers, especially the small family farms that can be found all across the country?

Fortunately, this is the perfect time to support local farmers by purchasing directly from them, at farmers markets, fairs, or directly at the farm. They need our support and patronage. Buy some freshly grown produce, meat from locally raised animals, or other items these farms produce, from honey to wine. There are so many excellent options, readily available to local consumers, if they are willing to take the effort to visit these places. 

For example, when I go to the Clam Box in Ipswich for lunch, I also often stop at 4-5 farms which are within a relatively short distance from the restaurant. Russell Orchards (with their wonderful cider donuts), Tendercrop Farm (with excellent grass-fed beef), Appleton Farms, Northern Lights Farm Stand (with a small menagerie of animals you can view), and Marini Farm. I make sure to have cooler bags in my trunk for these journeys. I help to support these farms and buy some delicious, fresh and locally produced food.

This week, I'll be traveling to Vermont to see some good friends, but during my trip, I've also made plans to visit at least a few unique farms, to learn their stories and give support to all that they have been doing. There will be a Waygu cattle farm, a Mangalitsa pig farm, and a Quail farm. I'm excited to visit these farms, and look forward to what I'll experience there. I'm sure I'll be writing about my visits, sharing my experiences with my readers.

In addition, I suspect I'll stop at other farms or farm stands I find, to see what they are producing. Vermont is such a fun state, and with its close proximity to Massachusetts, it's an easy drive. Plus, many in Massachusetts may not be cognizant that some of these Vermont farms will deliver to them, So, you can even support these Vermont farms without visiting them, although I'd recommend checking them out if you can. 

We can help save local farmers by patronizing them, by giving them our support and buying directly from them. It's easy, and who doesn't appreciate eating fresh, delicious local food. 

No comments: