Monday, August 2, 2021

Rant: Stop Drink Hate!

There are drink categories, such as Beer, which I generally dislike, but I would never elevate that dislike to a hatred. And I won't write off the entire category either. With most beer, it is the taste of the hops which turns me off and it would be simple for me to never drink any beer. 

I have seen plenry of other people do exactly that with other beverages. Some claim to hate Chardonnay or Sake, Port or Sauvignon Blanc, and won't ever drink it, refusing any offers to sample it. When presented with a new bottle, they will refuse to even take a sip, already convinced they will hate it. They wrongfully assume that all the examples of that type of beverage are the same, so they believe they will hate it. 

I refuse to take such a position and strongly encourage others to do the same. 

Why? Because I understand the simple fact that beverages are diverse, that they come in a multitude of flavors and styles, types and tastes. I know that even if I dislike 99% of the beers on the market, that still leaves 1% which I may greatly enjoy. I refuse to stop sampling and tasting beers even though I will dislike most of them. And I have found some beers I truly love. 

You should be open to tasting new beverages, even if you've disliked others of that beverage in the past. Maybe you actually only dislike oaky Chardoanny but would love an unoaked version. Maybe you've hated hot Sake but would like a fine, chilled Sake. Be adventurous with your palate and willing to taste new drinks. 

Next Monday, August 9, is World Baijiu Day, a day to celebrate and honor this intriguing Chinese spirit, which is the most popular spirit in the world. However, many Americans claim they hate Baijiu, stating it tastes like stinky cheese or sweaty socks. Again, this is an example of an irrational hatred as Baijiu is a diverse beverage, with many different flavor profiles. Yes, some of the sauce aroma Baijiu can be off-putting to many people, but there are lighter, fruitier versions which would appeal to anyone who drinks others spirits like rum or gin. 

I've previously written 11 article about Baijiu, delving into its fascinating history, production methods, and providing reviews of numerous Baijiu. I've tried to promote this beverage as it can be absolutely delicious and it's also versatile, making an excellent cocktail ingredient. World Baijiu Day is a perfect time to learn more about this Chinese spirit and sample some examples, to get past your hatred of this liquor. 

Locally, Sumiao Hunan Kitchen, in Cambridge, will be celebrating World Baijiu Day with a new cocktail, the Peppermelon, made with fresh watermelon juice, black pepper honey syrup, lemon juice, and Baijiu. Sumiao also has other Baijiu cocktails on their regular menu year round. Next week is also the start of Dine Out Boston, so you can go to Sumiao for a specially priced multi-course meal and try the new Peppermelon cocktail. I'm planning on doing so. 

Please don't write off an entire category of drinks. The diversity of beverages means you are likely to find something you will enjoy. By denying an entire category, you shut yourself off to a myriad of possibilities, and life is too short to do that. Be open to sampling everything you can, taking a chance on something new and different. Experience all that life has to offer and I'm sure your life will be richer for it. And that applies to many aspects of our lives, not just beverages. 

Celebrate diversity in all its forms!

No comments: