Thursday, February 7, 2008

Chocolee Chocolates: Open Tommorrow

Ah, those custom-dipped chocolate beignets! I learned more about them and wanted to share what I found.

I previously mentioned that Chocolee Chocolates is a new chocolate store opening on February 8 in Boston's South End. And during Valentine's Day week, the custom-dipped chocolate beignets will be available on a limited basis.

Today's Boston Globe had an article, "Pastry Chef's Choice" which described the beignets and even provided a smal picture. The beignets do not look like what you get in New Orleans. They more look like large donut holes. They are filled with Callebaut chocolate and Mascarpone cheese. You get several of the beignets and they are drizzled with some chocolate sauce and served with some bourbon spice ice cream.

They sound very tempting. I hope the beignets are served warm. I definitely think I need to check them out very soon.

Chocolee Chocolates
83 Pembroke Street
Boston, MA
Phone: 617-236-0606
Hours of Operation: Tuesday through Sunday, 10 AM til 7 PM

3 comments:

Susan said...

On your advice, I went and tried these beignets over the weekend - they were not drizzled with chocolate, nor were they served with bourbon spice ice cream, but they were so delicious unadorned that I can't imagine any improvements.

I have been busy contemplating ways to recreate them at home. I would be very interested in any suggestions you have on that front once you taste them.

Thanks for pointing me toward one of the most delicious bites I've had in a long time.

Richard Auffrey said...

Thanks Susan for telling me about your experience at Chocolee. I guess the Boston Globe was not fully accurate about the beignets. But I am glad you thought they were so delicious. I definitely have to make it down there. Did you try any of the truffles?

Anonymous said...

I have been to Chocolee a couple times since they've opened. The beignets are definitely something to try and are delicious! But as Susan said, not served with ice cream or drizzled w/ chocolate. The chocolates themselves are absolutely delicious; our family especially loves the moroccan mint.