Sunday, February 10, 2008

Kissui Vodka: Tasting Review

I certainly never expected that I would go to the Boston Wine Expo and find a vodka that I have been wanting to taste. I previously mentioned Kissui Vodka, a Japanese vodka made rice. You can see the bottle in the right side of the above photo.

Kissui Vodka has only been released in the U.S. market. It is being distributed through Ruby Wines which means it should be available in Massachusetts.

This vodka is distilled from high quality rice. It is blended with Kyoto's famous Fushimizu spring water, noted for its purity. This is the same water used in several brands of Sake. They use a special distilling process, called "Super-Allospas," though I am unsure of the specifics of this process. I was told though it is distilled twelve times.

I tasted this vodka on ice. I found it to be incredibly smooth, pure and clean. This is definitely a premium vodka that is best sipped straight on ice. It needs no mixers. I did not detect any rice flavors in it. Its flavors were very subtle. I was impressed and I will definitely buy a bottle when I find it to that I can put it through a more thorough tasting. But, it certainly seems like a winner.

No comments: