I am back again with a new edition of Thursday Sips & Nibbles, my regular column where I highlight some interesting, upcoming food & drink events.
1) On Thursday, November 16, from 6pm-pm, check out the 8th Annual Raise Your Glass for Jimmy beer and wine tasting fundraiser will benefit the Jimmy Fund and cancer research & care at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. The Jimmy Fund solely supports Boston’s Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, raising funds for adult and pediatric cancer care and research to improve the chances of survival for cancer patients around the world. It is an official charity of the Boston Red Sox, as well as the official charity of the Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association, the Pan-Mass Challenge, and the Variety Children's Charity of New England. Since 1948, the generosity of millions of people has helped the Jimmy Fund save countless lives and reduce the burden of cancer for patients and families worldwide.
Guests will experience more than 25 beverage selections from six wineries and three breweries, including a variety of craft beers and local brands.
--Wine selections include: August West, Fit Vine West, Gordon’s Wine, M.S. Walker, Masciarelli, & Plymouth Bay Winery
--Beer selections include: Anheuser Busch, Down the Road Brewery, and Alltech Lexington Brewing & Distilling Co.
The event will also feature seasonal hors d’oeuvres and desserts from Prince Street Catering. Guests will enjoy music by The Diplomats of Funk and attendees can also participate in a silent auction.
The event is presented by the Dana-Farber Leadership Council (DFLC), a network of dedicated professionals, entrepreneurs, and community leaders whose mission is to advance Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and the Jimmy Fund’s lifesaving work in cancer research and patient care through financial support and advocacy.
COST: Tickets cost $60 per person. For more information or tickets, please visit: www.jimmyfund.org/raiseyourglass
WHERE: Eaton Vance, 2 International Place, 13th Floor
2) On Wednesday, November 15 at B3 Restaurant, Boston's top chefs will go head-to-head in the ultimate holiday showdown. From 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., chefs will compete in a holiday cook-off benefiting Share Our Strength's No Kid Hungry Campaign, which aims to eradicate childhood hunger across the nation.
Tickets cost just $25 and include unlimited bites from the competing chefs and two complimentary drinks. For more information, please visit https://ce.nokidhungry.org/events/boston-holiday-food-fight. For more information about Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry Campaign, please visit: https://www.nokidhungry.org/about-us.
3) Restauranteur Kathy Sidell’s MET Restaurant Group (MET Back Bay, Saltie Girl, MET Bar & Grill and MET on Main) is bringing back its iconic “Boston Hot Chocolate Experience” just in time for the holiday season. From November 25, 2017 through February 14, 2018, the Boston Hot Chocolate Experience is presented in a flight of four miniature glasses and hosts four distinct flavors for chocolate lovers including: Classic Hot Chocolate, featuring Vanilla Chocolate, whipped cream and mini toasted marshmallows, Espresso with an almond biscotti garnish, Caramel Sea Salt with whipped cream and caramel drizzle and finally, White Chocolate Peppermint Hot Chocolate featuring white chocolate, crushed peppermint stick, vanilla cream & candy cane.
To elevate the experience this season, the team at MET Back Bay (only) has added Tableside S’mores, letting guests toast and roast from the comforts of their own table with extra-large marshmallows, graham crackers, white chocolate, milk chocolate and dark chocolate.
Each flavor can be upgraded to an “adult version” with additions like, Bailey’s, Galliano Ristretto, Caramel Vodka and Peppermint Liquor. If hot cocoa lovers find that they are in the mood for just one, MET Restaurant Group has that covered. Customers can order any flavor as the “One Big One” presentation.
For more information or to make a reservation visit www.metbackbay.com or www.metbarandgrill.com.
4) Chef Daniel Bruce and the team at Boston Harbor Hotel invite guests to experience the best of Glenmorangie Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky with a reception and three-course dinner in Rowes Wharf Bar.
On Wednesday, November 15, at 6:30pm, whisky lovers can embrace the crisp fall air and indulge in four varieties of Glenmorangie alongside a three-course dinner prepared by renowned Chef Daniel Bruce.
The full menu for the evening is as follows:
Glenmorangie The Original 10 Year
Maple Smoked Salmon, Whiskey Fritters, Black Salt Aioli
Glenmorangie The Quinta Ruban
Char Grilled Jumbo Sea Scallops and Foie Gras Toasted Barley, Melted Leeks, Black Kale Purée
Glenmorangie The Nectar D’OR
Wood Grilled Prime Petit Filet, Crispy Wild Oyster Mushrooms, Roasted Pumpkin, Melted Cheddar Sauce
Glenmorangie Extremely Rare 18 Year
Citrus Cake with Lychee Sorbet, Honey Cremeux, Grapefruit Curd
Tickets can be purchased on Eventbrite for $125 per person (including tax and gratuity). This is a 21+ event.
5) On Tuesday, November 14, at 6:30pm, Legal Sea Foods will host a wine dinner with selections from Concha y Toro Estates’s extensive portfolio of wines. Concha y Toro Estates is known for its French grape varieties made throughout the Chilean region. The plentiful sunshine and terrain in Chile paired with French winemaking techniques creates the premium homegrown taste of Concha y Toro Estates’ wines. Its wine portfolio includes icons such as Don Melchor and Almaviva, its emblematic Casillero del Diablo brand, as well as Trivento wines from Argentina, and Fetzer and Bonterra from California.
Legal Sea Foods will team up with Concha y Toro Estates’ wine expert Italo Jofré to host a four-plus-course dinner featuring signature cuisine paired with his selections from the Concha y Toro’s collection of wines.
The menu will be presented as follows:
Halibut Ceviche, Crispy Tostada
Squid Salad, Sesame-Lime Dressing, Wonton Cup
Prosciutto-Wrapped Sea Scallop, Béarnaise Sauce
Terrunyo “Los Boldos Vineyard, Block 5” Sauvignon, Casablanca Valley, 2016
Lobster Empanada (creamed corn, thyme sauce)
Marques de Casa Concha Chardonnay, Limari, 2016
Herb Roasted Swordfish (lemon caper sauce, kale & wild mushroom risotto)
Terrunyo “Peumo Vineyard, Block 27” Carménère, Cachapoal Valley, 2015
Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb (gorgonzola & onion stuffed portobello mushrooms, watercress & beet salad)
Marques de Casa Concha Cabernet Sauvignon, Puente Alto, Maipo Valley, 2015
Don Melchor Cabernet Sauvignon, Puente Alto, Maipo Valley, 2010
Aged Gouda, Brillat-Savarin, Aged Cheddar (mushroom escabeche, rosemary focaccia)
Don Melchor Cabernet Sauvignon, Puente Alto, Maipo Valley, 2013
COST: $105 per person (excludes tax & gratuity)
MORE INFO: Reservation required by calling 617-530-9397