Saturday, September 18, 2010

I Have Returned!

I flew home from Spain last evening, a long day aboard planes and adjusting to the time difference. But I returned very happy, so pleased with my visit to the Sherry region in Andalucia. It was educational, informative, exciting, fun and quite delicious. I met many fine people, experienced some intriguing events, ate very tasty food and drank compelling sherries.

We visited five cities, including Jerez, Cadiz, El Puerto, Sanlucar and Seville. We toured nine sherry bodegas, which certainly was a more unique experience, different in significant ways from other wineries I have previously visited. We dined at some of the best restaurants in the region, from tapas places to more high-end seafood restaurants.

So, over the course of the next few weeks you will be hearing about my experiences, learning about much of what I saw, learned, ate and drank. This is an amazing region of Spain and they are producing world class wines, fine sherries all wine lovers should taste. I have loved Spain since my prior two visits, and this trip made me love the country and its people even more. The people were very welcoming, even when there were language difficulties as my Spanish is not the best.

I purchased a number of sherries, nearly all which are not available in the U.S., and when I receive them should have about 20 sherries, though I wish I had acquired even more. I hope to share these sherries with my friends, to expose them to the wonder of these wines, hoping they too will fall in love with sherry.

And one of the best aspects of the trip was making some new friends, fellow wine, food and spirits writers, including Mari the Vino Vixen, Erin of New York, Brian from Philadelphia, and Camper of Alcademics. They were great traveling companions and we had plenty of fun together. I do hope to keep in touch with them, and maybe see them again one day.

Viva Espana!

No comments: