I am back again with a special Valentine's Day edition of Sips & Nibbles, my regular column where I highlight some interesting, upcoming food & drink events.
1) The Automatic Food + Drink loves heat, spice, sweat and tears. So, of course The Automatic is hosting its own unique Cupid's Hell Night on February 14. With hot chili peppers as one of the most popular and powerful aphrodisiacs, what’s not to love at Cupid’s Hell Night at The Automatic? Plus, let’s be honest, it is a great excuse for Cousin Dave to dress up like Cupid.
Chris Schlesinger has handed over the flames to Chef Martin and he is up for the challenge. Martin is creating a menu that will put every sense to the ultimate test. According to Cousin Dave Cagle, “We aren’t holding your hand through this one. That’s what your Valentine is for.”
Two seatings, beginning at 6pm. Reservations highly recommended as The Automatic Hell Nights always sell out. To make a reservation, please call 617-714-5226.
2) Spend a romantic night out with your one-and-only at RUKA by indulging in a four-course prix fixe menu for $55 per person. Enjoy the Tuna Roja Maki, a heart-shaped spicy tuna roll hugged in tuna sashimi, before digging into savory V-Day specials such as the Lobster Lomo Saltado and Grilled Corazon de Ribeye. To finish, satisfy your sweet tooth with the Pink Velvet Albaricocada, a Japanese sponge cake topped with dulce de leche, apricot marmalade, coconut meringue, besos de moza ice cream and drizzled with pink chocolate ganache. For Reservations, please call (617) 266-0102
Make it a staycation by reserving a room at The Godfrey Hotel with their Love Takes Over package. Guests of the hotel on the 14th will receive double occupancy accommodations, a bottle of Veuve Cliquot champagne, beloved classic mouse chocolates from L.A. Burdick, overnight valet parking and a 2pm check-out.
3) Love is treating that special someone to a romantic dinner at Yvonne’s. On Valentine’s Day, enjoy dinner specials such as the Spice-Smoked Duck Breast ($15) served with a sherry glazed celery root, quince jam and vegetable escabeche and the Honey Walnut Shrimp ($17) with a hot ginger honey, charred gai lan, chili mayo, and buddha’s hand citrus. End the night with the Chain & Whip ($10), a dessert featuring red velvet cheesecake, twisted doughnut, whipped chocolate ganache and unicorn sprinkles. For Reservations, please call 617-267-0047
4) Take that special someone out for an evening they will not forget. Chef Josue at Bistro du Midi has put together a special four course, multi-choice menu with optional wine pairings. You can enjoy dishes such as Chamomile Cured Scallop, Wagyu Beef Tartare, Seared Foie Gras, Duck Breast, Venison Loin, and Dulcey Ganache. The Valentine’s Day prix fixe menu is $105 per guest, with an optional $65 wine pairing. Both bars welcome walk-ins only, with a limited special Valentine’s Day Bar Menu. To make Reservations, please call 617-426-7878.
5) The team at Chopps American Bar and Grill invites guests to celebrate Valentine’s Day with a special Chef’s Tasting Menu, available Friday, February 9th-Saturday, February 17th. Executive Chef Steve Zimei has crafted an exclusive menu for lovebirds in addition to the a la carte menu items.
The full Valentine’s Weekend Chef’s Tasting Menu is as follows:
French Onion Soup, Caramelized Onions, Sherry, Cheese Crostini
Lobster Gnocchi, Ricotta Gnocchi, Maine Lobster, Winter Vegetable, Mascarpone
Aspen Ridge Short Ribs, Five Spice, Celery Root, Salsify, Wild Mushroom, Smoked Bacon Brodo
Butter Scotch Pot De Crème, Candied Pistachio Brittle
The Boston Marriott Burlington invites guests to take the elevator home with a Romance Package. Treat your sweetheart to this special package featuring overnight accommodations for two, dinner, and breakfast at Chopps American Bar and Grill, and a $50 gift card to Longs Jewelers to pick up something special. Guests will receive a bottle of champagne hand-delivered to their room to sip and savor and toast to each other.
6) Celebrate with the one you love in Kendall Square this February 14 at Sulmona Restaurant + Bar. Chef Delio’s has crafted some exclusive menu additions full of amore. The Sulmona team is also featuring a special wine for the evening, the 2013 San Silvestro Barolo, which is available by the glass or bottle.
The full Valentine’s Day a la carte menu:
Goat Cheese Panna Cotta, marinated Blood Orange, white balsamic
Delicata Squash & Brown Butter Mascarpone Cannelloni, cipollini onion agrodolce, toasted sage
--Duck Duo (For Two), crispy confit leg, pan roasted breast, sun choke gratin, braised trevisano, black cherry grappa jus
--Fish of the Night, prosciutto wrapped monkfish, Romanesco, sage gnocchi, tangerine cream
--Lobster, potato gnocchi, poached Maine lobster, morel mushrooms, tarragon
Dark Chocolate Panettone Bead Pudding, milk chocolate crème fraiche, fresh strawberries
To make Reservations, please call the restaurant at 617-714-4995.