Friday, October 19, 2018

Leitaria da Quinta do Paço: Whipped Cream Eclairs in Porto

During my recent visit to Portugal, I wished I'd had more free time to explore the fascinating city of Porto. I tried to visit the Livraria Lello, an intriguing book store, but it was closed when I stopped by. However, a short distance away, I was able to check out the Leitaria da Quinta do Paço, a dairy and bakery especially well known for their eclairs.

The Leitaria da Quinta do Paço was established nearly one hundred years ago, in 1920, producing milk, butter, cheese and whipped cream. Historically, they are supposed to be the first dairy that distributed their milk in glass bottles. They became famous for their whipped cream, which was originally sold in waxed paper bags. Eventually, they started making eclairs, filling them with whipped cream rather than the usual custard. They now have several locations in Portugal where you can find their products.

A Medium Classic Eclair sells for 1 Euro and a Large one costs 1.40 Euros. The other different flavors, from Caramel to Passion Fruit, cost an additional .10 Euros. All very reasonable prices.

The Clássico Eclair is covered with chocolate and filled with whipped cream. They use the same recipe to create these eclairs as they have always done.

Some of the different Eclair flavors in the case. They also make Savory Eclairs as well as numerous other sweets, though I was there just for the eclairs.

I very much enjoyed the Eclair, from its rich chocolate covering to the sweet whipped cream inside of it. There was a bit of a crunch to the eclair itself. The chocolate was smooth and creamy while the whipped cream wasn't overly sweet. A delicious and decadent treat, one I'd definitely recommend. I bought a bunch of the eclairs to share with my van mates, and they enjoyed the eclairs as well. I didn't hear a single complaint from anyone. If you travel to Porto and want something sweet, then consider making at stop at Leitaria da Quinta do Paço.

No comments: