Monday, May 8, 2023

Tasting Counter Is Closing, But Will Return!

Last December, I posted 2022: My Favorite Restaurants, and noted that one of my Top Three Favorite Restaurants was Tasting Counter in Somerville. I wrote, "This is another restaurant which has long been one of my top favorites, and I really need to dine there more often. As I've frequently mentioned, I believe Chef Peter Ungár is one of the best chefs in the Boston+ area, and doesn't receive as much attention as he deserves. His restaurant has been consistently excellent every time I've been there, due in large part to Chef Ungár being a perfectionist. His dishes are creative and delicious, with such intriguing combinations of ingredients. And the drink pairings are excellent choices as well. If you want to splurge on one of my top dining experiences in the Boston+ area, this is the spot you should do so."

So, it was with great sadness when I received an email yesterday stating that the Tasting Counter would close at the end of May. Their landlord, Aeronaut Brewing Company, notified them a few weeks ago that they wouldn't renew their lease. It appears that Aeronaut has other plans for the Tasting Counter space. 

Fortunately, the email also stated, "As we grapple with the news and impact this closure will have on our family, our staff, our guests, and our community, one thing remains certain – Tasting Counter WILL continue!" The email continued, "Just as Tasting Counter was always more than just a restaurant, the next iteration of Tasting Counter will expand on the work we started here. We’ve been given the green light to pursue our dreams, and we sincerely hope that you, as our guest and community supporter, will join us to continue the work we’ve started."

in 2008, I first met Peter when I attended one of his Chef's Table multi-course dinners which were held at his Somerville home. I was thoroughly impressed with Peter's cuisine and attended several more of his Chef's Table dinners, including having him host a special birthday dinner for me. 

In July 2015, he opened Tasting Counter, which offered a nine-course tasting menu paired with ten courses of wine, beer, Sake or non-alcoholic beverages. The restaurant was very intimate, seating only 20 people, and you were able to watch your dinner prepared before you. Exquisite food, compelling beverages, and impeccable service. 

You can still dine at Tasting Counter during the next few weeks. After May, hopefully it won't take too long before Chef Peter Ungár and his crew begin their next endeavor. Peter's passion will propel them forward and their next restaurant will be worthy as well. Best of luck to Peter and his staff, and I hope all of my readers wish the same to him as well. I'm eager to see the next evolution of Peter's culinary ideas. 

No comments: