Monday, October 5, 2026

Rant: Eliminate Drink Stereotypes!

Over the weekend, I presided over a Sake Tasting, showcasing four different Junmai Sakes, from light & fruity to earthy & umami-dominant. A number of customers were hesitant to try the Sake because of their prior negative experiences. They probably had cheap Sake, mostly hot, and found it too harsh, or it gave them a terrible hangover. 

Fortunately, after a little persuasion, pointing out that these were premium Sakes, very different from what they previously tasted, they were willing to give it a try. And they were surprised that they enjoyed the Sake! It was very different from their prior bad experiences, and most of them ended up purchasing a bottle. They realized that their negative stereotype about Sake had been incorrect. 

There are drink categories, such as Beer, which I generally dislike, especially hoppy beers. It would be simple for me to never drink any beer, but I don't write off the entire category. I've found, by willing to try something different, that I commonly like Sour Beers, and I love the Backacre Sour Golden Ale (sadly not produced in Vermont any longer), and have about 12 bottles in my wine cellar.    

Unfortunately, I have seen too many people stereotype certain categories and types of alcoholic beverages. For example, some claim to hate all Chardonnay, Port, Sherry, or Mezcal, and won't ever drink it, refusing any offers to sample it. When presented with a new bottle, they will refuse to even take a sip, already convinced they will hate it. They wrongfully assume that all the examples of that type of beverage are the same, so they believe they will hate it.

I strongly my readers to avoid such stereotypes and be open to the myriad diversity in alcoholic beverages. I know that even if I dislike 95% of the beers on the market, that still leaves 5% which I may greatly enjoy. I refuse to stop sampling and tasting beers even though I will dislike most of them.  

You should be open to tasting new beverages, even if you've disliked others of that beverage in the past. Maybe you actually only dislike oaky Chardoanny but would love an unoaked version. Maybe you've hated hot Sake but would like a fine, chilled Sake. Maybe you hate sweet Sherry, but might enjoy a dry Manzanilla. Be adventurous with your palate and willing to taste new drinks.

Please don't write off an entire category of drinks. The diversity of beverages means you are likely to find something you will enjoy. By denying an entire category, you shut yourself off to a myriad of possibilities, and life is too short to do that. Be open to sampling everything you can, taking a chance on something new and different. Experience all that life has to offer and I'm sure your life will be richer for it. And that applies to many aspects of our lives, not just beverages.

Celebrate diversity in all its forms! 

No comments: