I am back again with a new edition of Thursday Sips & Nibbles, my regular column where I briefly highlight some interesting wine and food items that I have encountered recently.
1) This New Year’s Eve, Blue on Highland in Needham will mark the end of 2011 and the start of 2012 with a night of festive celebrations complete with menu specials served all night long (4PM to 11PM) and a New Year’s Eve special dinner package for two for reservations made after 8PM. The New Year’s Eve dinner package will feature two entrees, including butter-poached monkfish and lamb osso bucco, and a half-bottle of Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label for only $75 per couple. Join Blue into the waning hours of 2011 and receive a complimentary champagne toast at midnight.
For more information or for reservations, please call Blue on Highland at 781-444-7001 or visit www.blueonhighland.com.
--Oysters Rockefeller, Served in puff pastry, $13
--Rissotto, Duck confit with roasted mushrooms and black truffle emulsion $22
--Butter-poached monkfish with pearled couscous and a mache enoki mushroom salad $28
--Lamb osso bucco with balsamic burgundy demi-glace, germolata, parsnip-white bean puree and pancetta-braised brussel sprouts $28
2) Ring in the New Year with an evening of dinner, laughter and music at Sauciety Restaurant, located at The Westin Boston Waterfront Hotel. The night will be hosted by comedian Sal Votano and will include a 3-course prix fixe dinner with a variety of live entertainment. The evening will feature four stand-up comedians, headlined by Steve Sweeney, and a New Year’s celebration at midnight that includes a champagne toast, DJ and dancing.
Along with Sweeney and Votano, the live entertainment lineup features fellow comedians Dave Russo and Tony V, as well as singer Carissa Scudieri and Sinatra Experience performer Joey Canzano.
WHEN: Saturday, December 31, 2011 | 7:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m.
TICKETS: Tickets can be purchased at www.laughstub.com
• VIP Ticket - $125/person, includes 3-course prix fixe dinner, VIP seating, entertainment & complimentary champagne toast (prix fixe dinner will be served from 7:00pm – 9:15pm)
• GENERAL Ticket - $65/person, includes entertainment & complimentary champagne toast (à la carte bar menu will be available for additional purchase)
* Cash bar will be available and is not included in ticket price
OTHER: This is a 21+ event, photo ID required. Event cost does not include cash bar. Seating preference is based on fist come first serve. Seating requests can be made, but are not guaranteed, by emailing email@example.com
3) Olé Mexican Grill located in Cambridge and Zócalo Cocina Mexicana located in Boston are offering a reasonably priced option for New Year’s Eve with a special $38 per person, 3-course, prix fixe menu as well as treating their customers to free samples of “lucky foods” from around the world and late night surprises to ring in the New Year!
It’s a tradition in many cultures to feature certain food items just before, during, and just after the stroke of midnight. All Guests that are on hand just before the clock strikes twelve will be given a free platter of lucky foods from around the world to accompany their champagne toast and ensure luck in the New Year! (1 Per Table)
The special New Year’s Eve prix fixe menu will be offered in addition to the regular menus at Olé Mexican Grill and Zócalo Cocina Mexicana for $38pp. Dinner reservations are accepted at both restaurants until 11pm and the celebrations continue well into the early hours of the morning with a DJ at Zócalo Cocina Mexicana and lively lounge scene, and a festive environment at Olé Mexican Grill with a special DJ appearance late-night.
For Reservations, call Olé Mexican Grill (617) 492-4495 or Zócalo Cocina Mexicana (617) 456-7849.
4) On Saturday, December 31st from 9pm-2:30am, The Beehive in Boston’s South End will host their 5th annual New Year’s Eve gala event. The Beehive’s, “Discothèque Burlesque New Year's Eve 2012” is an evening of bohemian decadence and eccentric fun. Guests will explore their senses as they take in the wonders of sultry Parisian burlesque performances by Calamity Chang & Stormy Leather, two of New York City’s burlesque scene’s busiest performers and producers, and dance to the grooves of the all-star band The AB’s featuring vocalist Sinclair Jennings. Executive Chef Rebecca Newell will feature a buffet of hors d’oeuvres and desserts throughout the evening, all served in a cocktail setting. Top it all off and toast the evening with a glass of champagne featured on The Beehive’s champagne list; with over 69 champagnes, it’s one of the most extensive lists in New England!
Cost of the event is $105 per person with food buffet, or $75 per person without buffet. Tax and beverages not included. Both ticket options include admission and entertainment. There is a cash bar all evening. Must be 21+ to attend. Tickets/Reservations are available by calling 617-423-0069 or visiting www.beehiveboston.com.
5) Enjoy Christmas Day dinner at the Beacon Hill Hotel & Bistro on Sunday, December 25, from 1pm-10pm as Executive Chef Richmond Edes prepares a multi-course holiday feast. Reservations are strongly suggested and can be made by calling 617-723-7575.
---Macomber Turnip and Chestnut Velouté, Cranberry, Herbs, Bacon Tuile
--Country Pâté, Traditional Accompaniments
--Baby Greens Salad, Hearts of Palm, Winter Citrus, Aged Chèvre, Banyuls
--Wellfleet Oysters on the Half Shell, Verjus Granita, Grains of Paradise
--Wild Mushroom Ravioli, Arugula, Porcini Broth
Wine pairing (optional)
2010 Domäne Wachau, Grüner Veltliner (Austria) or
2009 Château Pesquié Les Terrasses Rouge (Rhône Valley, France)
---Free Range Turkey Roulade
Chestnut Dressing, Mashed Potatoes, Cranberry Sauce and Gravy
--Faroe Island Salmon
Roasted Parsnip, Quinoa, Brussels Leaves
--Fresh Potato Gnocchi
Black Kale, Miatake, Winter Radish
--Painted Hills Strip Loin
Pommes Robuchon, Nantes Carrots, Sauce Vin Rouge
--Roasted Goose Breast & Confit Thigh
Spiced Squash, Lentils du Puy, Pomegranate Jus
Wine pairing (optional)
2006 Kinton Syrah (Santa Barbara County, California) or
2009 Château Moncontour Vouvray (Loire Valley, France)
--Bouche de Noël
--Chocolate Mousse Torte
--Selections of Farmstead Cheese
Wine pairing (optional)
N/V Yalumba Muscat “Museum Reserve” (South Eastern Australia) or
N/V Quinta de Noval 10 Year Porto (Douro, Portugal)
Cost: $55 per person, $27 for optional wine pairing. A 20% gratuity will automatically be added to your bill.
6) BOKX 109 American Prime, located at Hotel Indigo, will host a New Year’s Eve prix-fixe dinner. This special four-course menu will feature seasonally inspired dishes prepared by BOKX 109’s Executive Chef Jarrod Moiles. Dinner will be complemented by live music provided by local artist Matt Antunes. The evening will include a champagne toast at midnight, and plenty of party favors to help ring-in the New Year.
The four-course offering will feature the following:
--Hudson Valley Foie Gras (Mushroom salad, Brioche, and Sour Cherry)
--Salmon Tartare (Caper, Yuzu, Scallion, Aioli, and Wonton Crisps)
--Warm Vegetable Salad (Roasted Fall Baby vegetable, Chicory, Citrus Goat cheese dressing, and toasted Pistachio)
--Arugula and Fried Artichoke Salad (Gorgonzola, Roasted Beet, and Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette)
--Lamb Larded Tenderloin (Bandt Farm Tenderloin stuffed with an Australian Lamb Chop, and served with
Winter Vegetable Ragout and Balsamic Roasted Shallot Jam)
--Lobster Stuffed Sole (Braised Winter Greens, Cipolinni Onion, Chorizo and Saffron Cream)
--Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin (Corn Cake, Roasted Tomato Relish and House Mustard)
--Boneless 12 oz Delmonico (Turnip puree, Rock Shrimp Pancetta, Asparagus Hash and Burgundy Gastrique)
--Goat Cheese Panna Cotta (Red Wine Poached Pear and Aged Balsamic)
--Chocolate Crème Brulee (Bailey’s Cream and Raspberry Sorbet)
Guests may select items from the special prix-fixe menu, or from BOKX 109’s regular menu.
When: Saturday, December 31, Dinner from 5 pm to 11pm, Bar is open from 4 pm- 1 am
Cost: $75 per person (excluding tax; includes a champagne toast at midnight and party favors)
To make a reservation please call 1-617-454-3399