Thursday, March 20, 2014

SENA14: Fish Fun & Photos

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."
--John F. Kennedy

Every year at the Seafood Expo North America, I take a few hundred photos of all of the fascinating things I find there, including plenty of fish heads. Not all of those photos easily fit into my other posts, but I still want to share them with my readers. Thus, I have collected a group of photos here for your viewing pleasure. I've added captions (some serious, some humorous, to some of the photos. Please enjoy this visual journey through the warped eye of the Fish Head Whisperer.

Look at me! I can stand on my head without using my fins.

It looks like these frog legs are dancing the Can-Can, with the lettuce serving as their dress.

That is lobster perfection, with the meat expertly extracted to reform a lobster without the shell.

Would you like to try bobbing for crabs? Unlike apples though, they might bite back.

"Me eel brothers, let me release you from the prison of all that plastic. I want you to be free!"

Sumo crab, ready to battle.

"Look, up in the sky. Is it a bird? A plane? No, it is a humongous fish!"



Fish heads. Big eyes. What are they thinking?

Unfortunately, I didn't get to taste any gator this year at the Expo.

I'm a sucker for octopus.

I love the colors on this guy.

Capt'n Catfish is a regular at the Expo. I still wonder how he would taste fried in cornmeal.

A prehistoric, giant lobster, chiseled out of an ancient glacier?

Apparently this Panda is too obese now to climb up the pole, so now he sits at the bottom. Someone has been eating far too much bamboo.

I did not know there were Irish polar bears. Raise a Guinness and celebrate St. Patrick's Day at the Expo.

This is one of the only true Fish Heads I saw at the Expo. Most of the heads I saw were still attached to the fish.

No, it is a Geoduck!

"I see you, and don't think you are touching my legs."

This fish is on Match.com and "Sweet Lips" is his screen name.

Just not quite sure what it is.

Where is McGruff the Crime Dog when you need him?

Why does it seem these polar bears get bigger every year?

Party like a Squid!

"No, it didn't hurt when I go my tongue pierced."

Maybe the meanest fish I saw at the Expo.

Moe, Larry and Curley.

The rest of this photos are some intriguing seafood from Providence Bay Fish Co. in Rhode Island. Above, Whelks in-shell,

Red Coral Sea Cucumber, meats and skins,

Whelk meat.

White sea cucumbers.

Red Coral sea cucumber meat

"I've always wanted to be able to hold my breath for like, ever, and swim in the water like a fish."
--Carlos Pena, Jr.

No comments: