Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Italian Wine Merchants: Josko Gravner

After breakfast at L'Express, I walked a few blocks to Italian Wine Merchants, an excellent wine store that specializes in Italian wines, including many high-end and difficult to obtain wines. I have done a more extensive review of this store before and the store still impressed me.

I was on a mission this visit, to buy a bottle of wine made by Josko Gravner, an intriguing wine maker primarily from Friuli. Gravner currently is working on more "natural" wine making, including the use of clay amphorae for vinification and aging. The use of such amphorae is certainly very unique nowadays so I wanted to take a chance, to experience one of Gravner's wines.

I splurged a bit and bought the 2002 Gravner Breg Anfora ($102), a blend of Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio and Italico Riesling. I eagerly look forward to tasting this wine and will definitely report back once I have done so.

If you visit New York City and enjoy Italian wine, you should make the time to visit Italian Wine Merchants.

No comments: