Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Zagreb: A Return To Agava Restaurant

During my short time in Zagreb on my recent visit to Croatia, I decided to dine once again at the Agava Restaurant, located at 39 Tkalčićeva Street. Check out my prior article about Agava, for more info and background about the restaurant. Tkalčićev. a Street is a fine pedestrian street, with lots of restaurants, bars and cafes. Since I was in the area, and had enjoyed my dinner there so much before, I decided to eat there again. 

My dinner began with some complimentary treats, and I unfortunately didn't write down what they were, but they were all tasty bites. 

I also started my dinner with a glass of Sparkling Wine, the Petrač Bregh Blanc de Blancs (35 kuna/.10 liter). The winery is located in the Zagorje region, in northern Croatia. They own a 10 hectare vineyard, known as Hršak breg. The Bregh is made from 100% Chardonnay, produced in the classical method. It ages for about 24 months on the lees, and has a 12.5% ABV. Fresh, crisp and medium-bodied, with a nice light creaminess, and flavors of apple and citrus. Plenty of tiny bubbles, with a hint of brioche and a pleasing finish. 


For an appetizer, I opted for the Red Angus Beef Tartare (110 kuna), with Stilton cheese, butter, and crostini. It was creamy and rich, with a tasty beef flavor enhanced by its other ingredients. 

With the tartare, I chose a glass of the 2016 Boskinac Cuvee (60 kuna), from a winery located on the island of Pag. The winery was founded in 2000, although the family's history with wine extends back many generations. The Cuvee is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot, aged for two years in the barrel, and with a 13.5% ABV. It was bold yet soft, with flavors of black cherry and ripe plum, with restrained tannins, good acidity, and a lengthy finish. 

For my entree, I went back to the island of Pag, choosing the Risotto (120 kuna) with sheep cheese from Pag, thyme and pear. Such a delectable dish, with perfectly cooked rice, an intriguing, slightly briny taste of cheese, and a little sweetness from the pear. Well balanced and delicious, this was such a satisfying dish. Highly recommended!

For my final wine of the dinner, I selected the 2021 Saint Hills Mala Nevina (32 kuna), from the Istria region. It is a blend of Malvazija Istarska and Chardonnay, aged in small barrique barrels for three months, and with a 13% ABV.  Fresh and fruity, with hints of herbal notes, this was a pleasant and easy drinking wine, that went well with the risotto. 

While walking down Tkalčićeva Street in Zagreb, and feeling overwhelmed by all the restaurant choices, Id' recommend you dine at Agava Restaurant

No comments: