Friday, November 27, 2009

Sucré: Holiday Chocolate Truffles

When I opened this box of chocolate truffles, I was initially struck by the bright colors and shiny veneer. They almost seemed like large marbles.

Sucré (French for "sugared") is a bakery for artisan sweets and desserts. They have a store in New Orleans, in the heart of the Garden District on Magazine Street, where they sell home-made and hand-crafted chocolates and pastries, a variety of gelatos and much more. But they also do mail order. Sucré sent me a complimentary sample of the above truffles to see what I thought.

This sample was their Sugar & Spice Holiday Collection, which includes three different chocolate truffles, including:

Gingerbread milk chocolate truffle: A blend of holiday spices with milk chocolate ganache, surrounded by milk chocolate shell.

Candy cane white chocolate truffle: A velvelty white chocolate ganache infused with bits of peppermint candies in a pure white chocolate shell.

Eggnog dark chocolate truffle: A traditional holiday eggnog and white chocolate in a dark chocolate shell

I was impressed with these truffles. First, the thin chocolate shells on each truffle had an excellent chocolate flavor, smooth and creamy. It clearly seemed to be high quality chocolate. The interiors of each truffle were also moist and creamy with clear but restrained flavors. What I mean is that each truffle tasted like the flavor it was intended, but without possessing an overwhelming flavor. For example, the holiday spices in the Gingerbread truffle could have been overpowering but they were not. There was just the right balance of flavors in each truffle. The truffles were very well made and I savored the taste of each one.

These truffles are available in 6 Pieces ($12), 15 Pieces ($30) and 21 Pieces ($42). So an individual truffle costs $2, which is a bit pricey, though you do receive a high quality product, and the prices is comparable to other high-end, artisan chocolate shops. They would make for a delicious holiday gift.

As a special offer for my readers, you can receive $10 off any online Sucré orders over $70. You just have to enter the Code: SUCRE.

In addition, a portion of every dollar spent online will go to benefit the LA/SPCA (Lousiana Society for the Prevention of the Cruelty to Animals).

Why not check out their online catalog and see if anything appeals to you.

ADDENDUM: I was originally told that the coupon offer would be good until December 23. Unfortunately, I just received word from Sucre that the offer actually expires today, November 30. I am sorry for any problems this has caused my readers.

Sucré
3025 Magazine Street
New Orleans, LA 70115
Phone: 504-520-8311

2 comments:

The Wine Whore said...

Oh my god! These look awesome! I could just see myself scarfing on some of these with a nice late harvest red.

I think I might need a second...

Cheers!

Richard Auffrey said...

Yes, I think they might pair well with such a wine. Or a glass of sparkling wine.