1) O wonderful Sherry! I am a huge lover of Sherry and you can check out my over 25 posts about this wonderful fortified wine. International Sherry Week is coming up, from June 2-8, and it will be a celebration of all things Sherry. Locally, Merrill & Co. will be holding some Sherry events though the specifics have not yet been set.
Taberna de Haro, in Brookline, is well known as a Sherry mecca, currently carrying over 60 different Sherries.They have several events planned for International Sherry Week, including the following:
--Tuesday, June 3, 7pm-8:30pm
Manzanilla to Moscatel; Comparing Sherries with and without Flor
Steven Alexander of De Maison Selections will lead a discussion of the Sherries at this dinner.
•Manzanilla La Cigarrera
(local oysters; chilled Andalusian olive oil garnish)
•Fino Cesar Florido
(local clams sautéed with jamón Ibérico and artichoke hearts)
•El Maestro Sierra amontillado
(Hip Surf &Turf - bienmesabe and chicharrones)
•Cesar Florido Oloroso
griddled mushrooms garnished with smoked duck breast
•Cesar Florido Moscatel Dorado
(payoyo cheese and wine-poached apricot)
$55 plus tax and gratuity
--Wednesday, June 4, 7pm-8:30pm
Valdespino Sherries - Revival and Preservation in Jerez
(cuttlefish with black alioli; fresh fried squid)
(grilled asparagus with jamón ibérico & preserved ramps)
Amontillado Tio Diego
(pepitoria chicken - saffron, sherry, egg)
Oloroso Don Gonzalo
house paté with fancy accompaniments
Pedro Ximénez El Candado
mitiblu cheese with marcona brittle
$55 per person plus tax and gratuity
--Friday, June 6
Samples of several sherries from the house of Emilio Lustau will be on hand for all diners to taste and enjoy
--Saturday, June 7
Samples of selected sherries will be offered to diners, based on their menu choice!
Sherry Flights for only $15. A new one each day, at the bar only.
2) “This seemed like a fun, engaging and delicious way to open the door to getting people to try something new. I like it better than lamb and I think it’s on its way to becoming a more mainstream meat,” said Rokeya Chowdhury, co-owner of Shanti restaurant in Dorchester.
On Tuesday, June 17, at 7pm, Shanti and Executive Chef Anand “Andy” Pokhrel will present a multi-course, goat-centric dinner opening eyes to this fast growing popular protein. Guests will be guided through the dinner with explanations of the dishes, as well as being on hand to answer questions.
--all in the belly
Goat Becon Pakora (Goat belly, Chickpea batter, homemade pickles, and taro chips)
Pulled Goat Tacos (Roasted goat, roti)
Tandoor Roasted Goat Leg (Carved goat leg, wilted greens, saffron rice, turmeric yogurt sauce)
Goat cheese & mango panna cotta
The price for the dinner is $40 per person (tax and gratuity not included) and reservations are highly recommended by calling (617) 929-3900.
* Scituate Lobster Bisque with Tuscan EVOO and garlic crostini
* Black Olive Pizza with baby spinach, ricotta, roasted red peppers, tomatoes
* Fresh Linguini with clams and pork cracklins in Falanghina wine sauce with herbs
* Housemade Spring Mushroom Ravioli in Madeira cream with truffled pecorino
* Seared Local Sole with Jonah Crab and Asparagus Risotto
* Chicken Stuffed with Fontina and Asparagus with Lemon Thyme Jus
* Pork tenderloin w/ Daniele prosciutto and housemade bacon, served with spring peas and fava beans in balsamic butter
Orta's new beverage manager Chris Sweiger, formerly of Lydia Shires Scampo in Boston, has edited Orta's wine list to more closely match the restaurant's creative Italian menu. Wines from the Piemonte region, especially, now complement the cuisine. Toscana, Campagnia, Trentino, Marches, Abruzzo, Venezie and Alto Adige are also represented by the bottle and by the glass.