Tuesday, October 26, 2021

NV Blomidon Crémant: Crisp, Creamy & Delicious

Another delicious wine from Nova Scotia. This was the second wine I opened from the case of wine I bought on my recent trip to Nova Scotia. I was previously impressed with the Blomidon Estate Rosé, one of my Top Ten Wines from 2012, so it was easy for me to select this wine, especially as I love Crémants. 

Blomidon Estate Winery is located in the Annapolis Valley, on the shore of the Mias Basin, and only produces wines from grapes grown in Nova Scotia. The winery planted their first vines in 1986, having some of the oldest vines in the region, and in 2007, the Ramey family purchased the winery,  establishing itself as Blomidon Estate Winery. Since 2009, their head winemaker has been Simon Rafuse, a native of Nova Scotia. 

The NV Blomidon Estate Crémant ($28), produced in the Méthode Traditionnelle, is a blend of Seyval Blanc, L'Acadie Blanc, and Chardonnay. Two hybrid grapes and one vinifera. This sparkling wine was disgorged in the winter of 2020 and only has an 11% ABV. With such a low ABV, you can easily have a couple glasses without any worry. 

On the nose, the sparkling wine was aromatic with fresh apple and stone fruit notes. When I peruse the glass, it had plenty of tiny bubbles and a bright golden color. On the palate, it was delicious and delightful, being crisp, dry and creamy. It was refreshing, with flavors of apple and pear, and a touch of minerality. It has a very dry, pleasant and lengthy finish.

This is also a wine that you can enjoy on its own, maybe as a celebratory toast, or pair it with food. I enjoyed it with some sage sausages and egg noodles, finishing the bottle after dinner. Another winner from Blomidon Estate and I'd like to try more from their winery too. 

No comments: