Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Tryst

(Originally posted 3/13/06)

I had a good dinner at Tryst. Tryst is located on Mass Ave. in Arlington and is a very nice looking place, with a modern flair to its look. Service was very good, efficient, helpful and pleasant.

I started out with a wild boar ragout which was excellent. This consisted of potato gnocchi with parmesan topped by like a gravy with shredded boar meat. The combo of flavors and textures gelled so well, and it was very tasty. My wife had a gorgonzola pudding, which was a custard like concoction that was also delicious. The gorgonzola was very mild and tasty as well. There were a number of other appetizers that looked very good and I could have just ordered appetizers instead of a meal.

For my entree, I had the steak caesar, a filet with hearts of romaine lettuce and smashed potatoes. The steak was ok, but nothing special. I would not order it again. The potatoes were very good though...small baked potatoes, crushed flat and spiced. My wife's caramelized scallops with a blood orange glaze though were delicious, nice large and fresh scallops.

We got a bottle of a French Chateauneuf De Pape, a fine Rhone style red wine that went well with our food. The wine list has mainly wines from the US, France, Italy and Australia. Bottles average around $45.

Dessert was a butterscotch banana tart, sitting in a chocolate pie crust. What a wonderful finish to dinner. Just the right amount of sweetness, with a superb melange of flavors. Overall, it gets a very good rating, though I would not recommend the steak.

(originally posted 3/26/06)
After being turned away from La Stanza Diva, we eventually ended up at Tryst. My experience this time was even better than the first one. They had no problem seating us, stating they really did not get busy until about 7pm.

We started with a bottle of wine, the Cuvee Mythique, a French blend of several different grapes. This is a wine I recently tasted at the Wine Shop and is a very good wine. My mother also ordered a martini, a trystini which is raspberry flavored. We all tasted that and it too was very good. They actually have maybe a dozen or so different martinis and we tried a few over the course of the night, including a couple for dessert including a butterscotch banana martini (which went well with the butterscotch banana tart).

Appetizers included a dish with 3 different tuna items, a lamb ragu, a goat cheese & potato gallette and trout fritters. All excellent and delicious! Dinners included tuna with a blood orange glaze, roast halibut and trout wrapped in baon and stuffed with lobster and cornbread. All of these meals were superb, especially the trout. I cannot recommend the trout enough. For dessert, three of us got the butterscotch banana tart. All in all, a great time.

Tryst
689 Mass Avenue
Arlington, MA
Phone: (781) 641-2227
http://www.trystrestaurant.com/

Tryst in Arlington

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

January 1, 2008 8:54 pm

Yummy dinner at Tryst in Arlington, Mass.

The grilled hanger steak with bordelaise sauce sang to me at Tryst Restaurant in Arlington, Mass. The steak was a little chewy, but tasty with the rich sauce. Truffle fries would have been better if served warmer than tepid. I would order the steak again.

Service was a bit slow. By the time my husband’s glass of wine arrived he was almost done with his roasted beet salad.

Richard Auffrey said...

Hello and welcome to my blog. Thanks for your comments. I have not been to Tryst since their recent expansion but definitely will try to get there soon. Sorry to hear that your visit had a couple issues. Was it a very busy night? Do you know if the server was new? I very much hope that they have not changed since the expansion.