Thursday, May 31, 2007

New Sushi Books

I love sushi! I love Japanese food in general. And I love learning more about sushi and Japanese food. I think that knowing more about the food enhances my enjoyment of it.

I recently read two new books on sushi and think both of them might interest others as well.

The first book is The Sushi Economy by Sasha Issenberg. This book is more about the business of sushi, from the huge Tsukiji fish market in Tokyo to the tuna ranches in Australia. There is also information about the history of sushi and sushi restaurants, including some biographical details on the famed Nobu Matsuhisa. Though I found this book interesting, and well written, I am not sure that it will appeal to everyone. It will appeal more to those interested in the business aspects of the sushi world.

The second book has more general appeal. It is The Zen of Fish by Trevor Corson. It is the tale of 12 weeks at a Sushi Academy in California. It describes the lives of a number of the instructors and students as well as their lessons, activities and tests. Interspersed with the events of the academy is a ton of interesting items about sushi, fish, sushi etiquette, and other Japanese foods. The book is very informative and will teach you much about sushi. It is an easy read and is well written. The author even has a intriguing website with additional information, including a sushi blog. If you enjoy eating sushi, I think you will find this book very fascinating.

No comments: