Saturday, December 29, 2007

Ocean Vodka

Yesterday I posted about Kissui Vodka, a new Japanese vodka made from rice. Today, while reading Bon Appetit (February 2008), I read about another intriguing vodka. When it rains, it pours.

Ocean Vodka is made on Maui in Hawaii! And no, it is not made from pineapples. They use 100% certified organic corn and rye. What really makes them unique though is the water they use. The water actually comes from about 3000 feet below the surface of the Pacific Ocean. The water is desalinated and purified. It is used because it is very cold and very pure. The vodka is 80 proof and bottled in 750ml ($37) and 50ml ($5.49) bottles. There is a stylized palm tree on the bottle.

The vodka is currently available in California, New York and Washington. In addition, a portion of their profits is donated to organizations dedicated to the conservation of the world's ocean resources.

This is another new vodka that I hope to try soon. Will the deep sea water make a significant difference in the taste?

2 comments:

Rick D said...

This stuff is finding a home in a few places and plenty of people like it.

Personally, I'm not a fan, but there's no accounting for taste. ;)

You can read my review here: http://martini-lounge.blogspot.com/2006/07/review-ocean-vodka.html

Richard Auffrey said...

Hi Rick and welcome to my blog. Thanks for your comments and review of Ocean Vodka. I certainly agree that tastes differ. For instance, I hate the flavor of Grey Goose though I know many love it.

And I took a look at the rest of your blog and enjoyed it. I will even add a link on my blog to it.

Cheers and Happy New Year's!