Sunday, December 9, 2007

Sakaya Sake Store

True Sake in San Francisco was the first all-Sake store in the U.S. I had the pleasure to visit this store and was amazed at all the varieties and brands of Sake available. You can also order their Sake online too.

As the popularity of Sake has increased in the U.S., it was only a matter of time before another all-Sake store opened elsewhere. And I am glad that this new store opened much closer to me, in New York City.

While reading the new issue of Food & Wine magazine (January 2008), I was alerted to a new all-Sake store. Sakaya just opened in New York City at 324 E. 9th Street (between 1st & 2nd Avenues). Though their website is under construction, you can check out their blog for some more info and photos of the store. The photos of the store certainly look interesting.

Sakaya is owned by Rick Smith, the former publisher of Food & Wine, and his wife, Hiroko Furukawa. They are supposed to have daily Sake tastings, to help educate the public about sake. The store will stock many different types of Sakes, including artisanal and rare Sakes.

I wish them much luck in their new endeavor and I will certainly add Sakaya to my itinerary on my next trip to New York City.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I'll be stopping there on my next trip to the city.

Richard Auffrey said...

Please tell me what you think of it if you do go!