Monday, December 10, 2007

When Pigs Fly

Conveniently located near Kickass Cupcakes is a brand new store, When Pigs Fly, which sells a wide variety of all-natural, artisan breads. You might be familiar with their breads as they are available in some local stores.

Their bakery is located in York, Maine, and they have stores in Kittery, Freeport, Portsmouth and now Somerville. Their breads are made in small batches and it takes about 36 hours to bake a loaf of bread, from start to finish. They also use some seasonal ingredients so certain flavored breads may change depending on the season.

The Somerville store appears to sell all of their various breads. At most local stores, you only find about 4-5 varieties available. But now you can get flavors such as Whole Wheat, Low Carb Whole Wheat, Seeded Whole Grain, Tuscan Wheat, New York Rye, Cinnamon Raisin, Oat & Honey, Six Grain & Pumpkin Seed, Sourdough, Pumpernickel, Harvest Bread, Chocolate, Multi-Grain Anadama, Hog Heaven, Kalamata Olive & Roasted Red Pepper, Banana & Pecan & Maple and Brown Sugar, Orange & Roasted Pistachio and Cranberry, Sicilian Green Olive with Hot and Sweet Cherry Peppers and more. They also sell a couple types of rolls and a French baguette.

Most of the loaves cost $6. They are good-sized loaves and I think it is a reasonable price for what you get. They will allow you to sample any of their breads. I tried several of their breads and they were quite delicious. I really enjoyed the Banana & Pecan & Maple and Brown Sugar. I have had their breads before and enjoyed them. It was even better to get them fresher.

This is definitely a place to check out, especially if you love bread as much as I do.

When Pigs Fly
378b Highland Ave.
Somerville, MA

When Pigs Fly Bakery in Somerville

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, I miss Somerville. I used to live on Highland Ave! Actually, not at all far from where this bakery is. (Might be a good thing I moved... I have no control when it comes to freshly baked bread.)

Richard Auffrey said...

Somerville is a nice city, so many good food and wine places around. Especially in the Davis Square area. I love fresh, hot bread very much!

Anonymous said...

I was always a big fan of Redbones. Anyplace where you can spin a beerwheel is A-OK in my book! Also held a regular spot at The Burren. When I was living there (1997/1998) was when Utne Reader had named it one of the "hippest places to live" and I'd also heard it referred to as "the Paris of the 90s." Still makes me smirk! Hoping to head up to Boston in the spring and seeing what has changed.

Richard Auffrey said...

If you need any recommendations for your trip to Boston, feel free to ask. And maybe we can share a glass of wine.