I am back again with a new edition of Thursday Sips & Nibbles, my regular column where I highlight some interesting, upcoming food & drink events.
1) Slated to open late next month, Bodega Canal will bring elevated Mexican fare and flare to the TD Garden neighborhood. Owner of North End gastropub Ward 8 and newcomer North Square Oyster, Nicholas Frattaroli aims to elevate Mexican dining with the “rustic luxe” concept. Bodega Canal will offer an alternative to the sports bar-heavy neighborhood with a fresh, lively destination for guests to enjoy a delicious meal, pre- or post-game drink, or fun night out on the town.
Helmed by Chef Kenny Schweizer, who also oversees the kitchen at Frattaroli’s Ward 8., Bodega Canal’s menu will offer a variety of house-made guacamoles, appetizers, tortas, salads, entrées, and, of course, plenty of classic and reimagined tacos. Menu highlights will include: Mole Short Rib with dirty rice and roasted green beans; Buttered Lobster Tacos with butter-poached lobster, grilled corn pico de gallo, cojita; and ancho crema, and Queso Fundido with chorizo and poblano rajas.
Ward 8’s General Manager Mike Wyatt will oversee the bar program as beverage manager to develop a creative, carefully curated cocktail, beer, and wine menu. With a full liquor license, Bodega Canal will serve up a wide variety of options including: a variety of margaritas; three frozen drink options; red, white, and rosé sangria; signature cocktails; shareable drinks; South American and Spanish wines; Mexican soft drinks; Mexican coffees; and domestic and foreign beers available by draft or the bottle.
“Always having loved Mexico’s cuisine and its rich culture, our team is excited to open a space that celebrates the vibrancy and boldness of Mexican flavors and dishes. In an area brimming with sports bars, we’re looking forward to bringing a fresh, new, sophisticated concept to Canal Street. We felt there was a need for a really great quality restaurant and bar that offers guests a fun atmosphere as well as elevated food and drink; we hope Bodega Canal meets that need!" says Frattaroli.
Located at 57 Canal St., Boston, MA, Bodega Canal will be open daily. The bar will be open Sunday through Wednesday from 11:30 to 1 a.m., and Thursday through Saturday from 11:30 to 2 a.m. Lunch will be served daily from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Dinner will be served Sunday through Thursday from 5 to 10 p.m. and Friday and Saturday from 5 to 11 p.m. Weekend brunch service will begin at a later date. For more information, please visit www.bodegacanal.com
2) Every Tuesday, from 11am-6pm, Temazcal Tequila Cantina in Lynnfield will celebrate Taco Tuesday. They will offer handcrafted tacos for ½ off, for lunch or early dinner and drinks. Choose from any of Temazcal’s tacos, served with Mexican rice and black beans, including: grilled vegetable tacos, grilled chicken tacos, fish tacos, lettuce wrap Ahi Tuna tacos, lettuce wrap grilled salmon tacos, Asada skirt steak tacos, or tacos mechados (braised short ribs).
3) Executive Chef Matt Drummond, Bar Manager Kaitlyn Fischer, and the crew at Loco Taqueria & Oyster Bar welcome autumn with a special fall Columbus Day edition of brunch on Monday, October 9, from 10am-3pm.
Executive Chef Matt Drummond will be dishing out Loco’s signature brunch items like Avocado Toast (marble rye, aji Amarillo goat cheese, smoked mahi mahi, avocado), the decadent PB&J French Toast (peanut butter & berry jam stuffed, banana foster sauce, spiced peanuts), savory Cubano (carnitas, tasso ham, queso, house pickles, special sauce) and other fall-inspired specials.
Those looking for a liquid brunch can keep the weekend going with signature cocktails from Bar Manager Kaitlyn Fischer, including the cult-favorite Coco Margarita and a variety of other seasonal sippers.
4) On Thursday, October 12, from 7pm-9pm, Tavolo Ristorante will host a Mushroom Dinner Extravaganza. Chef Eric will present each course and Dunk, from Dunks Mushroom Products & Foraging LLC, will also join in to showcase a selection of mushrooms and products that he cultivates locally, and that we take pride in cooking.
1st Course: Wild Mushroom Bruschetta - black stainer foccacia, Langwater Farm garlic, local quail eggs, italian black truffles
2nd Course: Lacto Salad - mixed mushroom conserva, lacto green beans, Judy's greens, housemade black garlic, mushroom jerky
3rd Course: Beef Tartar - king of the woods crown, farm shallots, herbs, dandilion mustard
4th Course: Chitarra Ramen - serrano chili, chitarra, wild sassafras and umami broth, jenny's duck eggs, shroom accutrements
5th Course: Chaga Panna Cotta - matsutake, maple gummies, vanilla and pine froth
With complimentary amuse bouche and tea course! Menu subject to change. Vegetarian option available.
Cost: $50 per person. Drink pairings for an additional $30.
Limited spots available so get your tickets now at Eventbrite.
5) Culinary creativity is nothing new for Chef Leo Asaro who has been Chef de Cuisine at Michael Schlow’s Latin-inspired eatery Tico since 2014.
This Fall, Asaro’s bringing something new to Tico's table with “Leo’s Lab” - an interactive dining experience where guests get a front row seat for the appetizing action of Asaro’s artistry at Tico's intimate chef counter. From cocktail concoctions to delectable dishes, “Leo’s Lab” is a culinary journey through bites, sips and anecdotes and an unmatched celebration of sensory stimulation.
"Leo’s Lab" will be in business on select Tuesday and Wednesday evenings with one 6:30 pm seating for up to 8 guests. Tickets are $75 per person (not including taxes or gratuity), and include a welcome sip of champagne, one cocktail creation, five savory courses and a dessert finale served with a side of friendly banter with fellow guests and a culinary discussion throughout the meal with Asaro himself.
This series kicked off on October 3rd and upcoming dates include:
Tuesday, October 3
Wednesday, October 18
Wednesday, November 8
Tuesday, November 28
Tuesday, December 5
Tuesday, December 19
Asaro has spent over a decade mastering his culinary craft and coming up with fun, new ways to engage diners. The Johnson and Wales graduate studied under Chef Daniel Boulud before finding a home in Schlow’s restaurant group. Impressed with his skills and ability to design beautiful dishes, Schlow brought Asaro up the ranks from Sous Chef of his renowned restaurant Radius, to Executive Chef of beloved Via Matta, and eventually to his current post at Tico in the Back Bay.
For tickets and more information on Leo’s Lab, visit http://www.ticoboston.com/leo-s-lab.
6) You may already be aware of the famed Craigie Burger – but did you know that you can enjoy it this Friday for lunch at Craigie On Main? You can also pair it with a beer from Exhibit A Brewing. Tony Maws started this once a month Craigie Burger & Beer event in the summer with Notch Brewing, and cooked for sold-out crowds. So this fall he is welcoming Exhibit A Brewery to Cambridge on October 6, November 3 and December 8. Mark your calendars now, these lunch events sell out!
Date: Friday, October 6
Time: 11:30am – 2:00pm
Price: $18.00 / Craigie Burger. Your choice of beverage is not included in the $18
To make Reservations, go to this : Eventbrite Link: